website statistics

Bobsleigh 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

intoronto

Just now, heywoodu said:

No wait, I understand the whole thing was a set-up to qualify athletes through that event. What I meant was, who'd have though some roller skiing in Colombia would have so much of an effect that even in bobsleigh rules are different now :p 

Not directly. But it's pretty similar. :p

They got removed because they allowed Nigeria and Ghana to qualify with zero competition and virtually no experience (especially in the case of Nigerians)...

#banbestmen

44 minutes ago, dcro said:

It's not. No more freebies for Nigeria. Gone with the Project Bogota.

38 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Who'd have though some roller skiing in Colombia would have such an effect? :d 

Nah, it had more to do with the quota cuts bobsleigh/skeleton suffered.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

31 minutes ago, dcro said:

They got removed because they allowed Nigeria and Ghana to qualify with zero competition and virtually no experience (especially in the case of Nigerians)...

Except that those athletes participation was great look for both the IOC and IBSF. 

Frimpong had been sliding for 2 or 3 seasons before Pyeongchang, and had been a part of the Dutch bobsleigh program previously I believe.

The Nigerians did game the system. 

However, both countries have continued to pursue the sport, since they were given that opportunity. Without those opportunities, why should any nations outside the main 10-15 fund programs?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, dcro said:

Not really? Women's quotas actually increased and yet they still dropped continental palces. No more freebies.

That’s true. I still don’t think getting rid of the continental quotas had to do with the performances of “smaller” nations.

It is what it is though. With all the countries competing in men’s skeleton, I wish there was still 30 quotas.

• 2 months later...