website statistics

Weightlifting at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

vlad

1 hour ago, OlympicsFan said:

Is boxing really that bad? I know that the host country always has an advantage, but isnt it pretty much the same in all fighting sports, fencing and maybe even artistic gymnastics (all sports with judges)?

It would be great if there would be a way to make it impossible for the judges to "identify" the athletes. If you dont know which athlete is from country X, then you also cant cheat. No we only need a way to disguise the athletes during the competition ...

yeah, boxing has always been like a heaven for corrupted judges...some of the worst scandals ever have been recorded in this sport...

other fighting sports are not so widely manipulated as boxing (maybe because they are less popular in many parts of the world and don't have the same economical power of boxing - even the relatively modest AIBA sector of boxing)...

maybe only Taekwondo has had in the past the same problem as boxing, but now there are less "wrong winners" in all of its bouts (of course some manipulations will always be present, I'm not saying that now it's a completely clean discipline)...

fencing...well, fencing is so poor on the economical side (and has very few Countries dominating the action, at least until the last few years) that it's not worth the effort to build a system like the boxing one, so until now there have been just a few occasional real cheats...mainly we have just bad mistakes because of not well prepared refs...

4 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

How can federations hide doping cases at olympic games, i think WADA does the testing at the olympics? WADA should get much more power, federations or countries cant decide about bans, WADA should treat all athletes the same.

that's the theory...but practice can be a lot different...just look at what the Russians did in Sochi with their "disappearing positives"...

frankly, I don't have any sort of confidence in any Institution (WADA, IOC, International Federations) when there's so much money on the table...

18 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Sitting here with my money on North Korean Kim "because without Kashirina, odds of 9 are completely crazy". :facepalm:

Ha ha :d , I missed that bet when Kashirina was out , but now I am happy that I did .

Just now, irmants said:

Ha ha :d , I missed that bet when Kashirina was out , but now I am happy that I did .

Not very happy anymore with my bet on Hou to win neither..I've now gone for Miyake at odds of 6, which I guess is too high without a Chinese girl in her class. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 minute ago, heywoodu said:

Not very happy anymore with my bet on Hou to win neither..I've now gone for Miyake at odds of 6, which I guess is too high without a Chinese girl in her class. 

Yeah had a bet on her too. It's really hard to say who is favorite in 48 without Hou , but I would pick Sopita Tanasan , in world champs last year she did 210 at 53 but weighted only 50.xx. So i believe she could do about 200 total, which may be enough for gold

4 minutes ago, irmants said:

Yeah had a bet on her too. It's really hard to say who is favorite in 48 without Hou , but I would pick Sopita Tanasan , in world champs last year she did 210 at 53 but weighted only 50.xx. So i believe she could do about 200 total, which may be enough for gold

Personally I think it's between Miyake and Tanasan, I would take both of them at odds of 6, but they're not offering Tanasan and I think at those odds Miyake is a good bet too :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, Tona22 said:

good news for Thailand!

Sopita lift 90+110 at national championship this May

at 48 or 53 ................... If she is doing 200 in the 48 . she is almost sure for gold ...I do not see any one else doing better 

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 hour ago, nitinsanker said:

at 48 or 53 ................... If she is doing 200 in the 48 . she is almost sure for gold ...I do not see any one else doing better 

Records in nationals or other internal competitions mean nothing for the real competition , most athletes lift around 10kg less,