website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

crovitlaci

Wow, did not see that coming less than a year before the Olympics :yikes: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Look, Petra started out with a bang and then tailed right off to the point she underperformed at the Worlds and had to rely on favorable Lenzerheide to fend off Lara Gut's challenge for the overall. It's obvious she can't handle running all the races physically and she can't risk another poor showing at the Olympics which are the main focus. If Magoni is responsible for pushing her to do the speed races and all that it's no wonder she had enough of him. I suppose she goes back to doing tech races only from next season. She looks so upset with those silver medals in Cortina I think she targets golds & golds only in Beijing.

4 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Look, Petra started out with a bang and then tailed right off to the point she underperformed at the Worlds and had to rely on favorable Lenzerheide to fend off Lara Gut's challenge for the overall. It's obvious she can't handle running all the races physically and she can't risk another poor showing at the Olympics which are the main focus. If Magoni is responsible for pushing her to do the speed races and all that it's no wonder she had enough of him. I suppose she goes back to doing tech races only from next season. She looks so upset with those silver medals in Cortina I think she targets golds & golds only in Beijing.

The US State Department today gave its strongest hint yet that they are going to make Petra's path to gold a heck of a lot easier, and she will only have to worry about beating Liensberger. 

2022 Beijing Olympics: U.S. considering joining boycott, state department says (cnbc.com)

NBC pays a ton of money for the Olympic TV rights. Everyone takes a financial hit during the COVID pandemic and now you want to blow up the TV revenue on purpose? Good luck in depriving Shiffrin, Chloe Kim and whomever else from taking part in these Olympics. Someone tell Joe Biden the Cold War is over. It's laughable that Trump was considered the biggest Chinese enemy and Biden would go ahead with the boycott? He'd get crushed by the sporting community. No way he can be that stupid? The fact this stuff comes out indicates it's a controlled leak therefore they want to know what the public thinks. It's such a stupid decision it's beyond reasonable imagination. The Yalta conference reaps heavy fruit 78 years after it took place indeed! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

this is not good news at all for me...I'm going to lose the best tech tv commentator in the world of alpine skiing (Pini used to work for the Italian speaking channel of the Swiss public TV in the last few years)...:cry:

btw..fun fact...

Pini became Tina Maze coach in 2013/14 Olympic season replacing Magoni. Tina won in Sochi 2 Gold medals..

now 2021/22 Olympic season he replaced Magoni again, now as Petra Vlhová coach, just changed :SLO to :SVK:p

Not sure if the history can repeat, but for some reason in this case, I would not be angry :lol: However winning even 2 medals of any color would be absolutely huge and amazing, I mean for Slovakia, not sure if Petra would be satisfied by only "of any color" though :p

• 4 weeks later...