website statistics

Alpine Skiing 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

crovitlaci

5 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I would imagine the World Championships will be heavily impacted by the Olympics though. Right?

Possibly, but alpine skiing isn't a sport where you very often see people skipping this and that event other than because of injuries and stuff like that. If they could fit the world championships somewhere in January or March, I doubt there will be much difference compared to other years.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Possibly, but alpine skiing isn't a sport where you very often see people skipping this and that event other than because of injuries and stuff like that. If they could fit the world championships somewhere in January or March, I doubt there will be much difference compared to other years.

March would be better I imagine. For me, knowing the injury rate in Alpine Skiing, I wouldn’t want to risk an injury at the World Championships a month before the Olympics.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

it should be something like this: world cup ends by January, Olympics in February, Worlds in March...

basically, they're admitting that there's no chance to host an event in Italy with full access to the audience early next year...:facepalm: :nopompom:

10 minutes ago, phelps said:

it should be something like this: world cup ends by January, Olympics in February, Worlds in March...

basically, they're admitting that there's no chance to host an event in Italy with full access to the audience early next year...:facepalm: :nopompom:

It might be better to accept that now, than to keep cancelling/postponing stuff relatively shortly beforehand..

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

50 minutes ago, dcro said:

Wow, that's just ridiculous. Just postpone Cortina for the next available spot (2025?) and be done with it.

But what exactly is the problem of having the world championships in 2022 after the Olympics? Other than 'that isn't what we're used to'.

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

But what exactly is the problem of having the world championships in 2022 after the Olympics? Other than 'that isn't what we're used to'.

World Champioships being basically meaningless? Everyone will try to peak for the Olympics, leaving the March Worlds as an afterthought, at best.

#banbestmen

1 minute ago, dcro said:

World Champioships being basically meaningless? Everyone will try to peak for the Olympics, leaving the March Worlds as an afterthought, at best.

I can imagine how some people find that a problem, personally I don't :p 

I really don't care much whether or not they have them in 2022. If they do, I'll gladly watch, if they don't, so be it.

Will this useless postponement ever stop. By February 2021 the situation will be different, than it is now. Even, if still there is no audience allowed (even though it's outside), they can have the starts without fans. Like the many other events/sports, which will have events without fans by that point. If they still don't want to host, than just pick another venue, that is willing to host.

There is virtually no pleasure for anyone to have the Olympics and WCH back to back. That WCH will be so much devalued, why bother with the trouble at all and disrupting the calendar for another 2 seasons.