website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

A few random things, plus info on the Open European Championship and the World Championship:

1.  The Czech Republic squad for the OEC, which might include Michal Krčmář and Vítězslav Hornig.

Men:  Tomáš Krupčík, Milan Žemlička, Mikuláš Karlík and Jonáš Mareček.

Women:  Tereza Jandová, Natálie Jurčová, Eliška Teplá, Anna Tkadlecová, Tereza Vinklárková and Tereza Voborníková. 

2.  The International Biathlon Union (IBU) will make a final decision this week on whether or not to allow Russian athletes to use national symbols at this year's world championship.

3.  French Teams for the World Championship, no real surprises at all:

Men:  Quentin Fillon Maillet, Emilien Jacquelin, Fabien Claude, Simon Desthieux and Antonin Guigonnat.

Women: Julia Simon, Anaïs Chevalier-Bouchet, Anaïs Bescond, Justine Braisaz-Bouchet and Chloé Chevalier.

4.  Removed, link no longer worked.

5.  Interesting little article about Yu Shumei.

6.  If anyone wants to read an article about the first decade or so of Swiss Biathlon, here it is.  Here is the summary, they were really bad.

11 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

6.  If anyone wants to read an article about the first decade or so of Swiss Biathlon, here it is.  Here is the summary, they were really bad.

This really makes me wonder why on earth some student (?) decides to write about Swiss biathlon's history in the 50's and 60's....I mean, how much more obscure do you want to make it? :d 

Which is not to say it's not interesting, because it absolutely is! :cheer: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

19 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

This really makes me wonder why on earth some student (?) decides to write about Swiss biathlon's history in the 50's and 60's....I mean, how much more obscure do you want to make it? :d 

Which is not to say it's not interesting, because it absolutely is! :cheer: 

Thanks, not student, professor. That makes it even stranger :d

Odds and ends:

1. Olga Podchufarova who transferred to Slovenia from Russia, has now returned to Russia.  She spent 18 months trying to get her Slovenian Citizenship, which she was never able to obtain.  "As you know, I spent the last 18 months in Slovenia waiting an official permission to compete for the new country. But it turned out in such a way that I am now coming back home to Russia," she wrote. "Neither of the two sides expected this outcome. Without delving too much into details, the EU internal laws do not allow me to complete the citizenship procedure, which means that prospects to compete for the national team of this country zeroed out. All this story was a big challenge for me, I saw an experiment in this, my development and future growth. Of course, these developments dealt a blow below the waist for me and the Slovenian sporting federation because the initial prospects were totally different."

2.  Loginov not out of the woods yet in Italy.

3.  Lisa Vittozzi and Covid.

14 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But of course Russians can compete under their flag during World Cup and IBU Cup? Yeah, integrity and all that crap :p

FIS did the same, they can compete in World Cups with flag but no way during upcoming World Championships :lol: 

Not to mention the uniforms can be in national flag colors ;) Let's get real, fans on TV don't pay much attention to emblems to begin with. They're usually too small to be noticed anyway. But hey, integrity! Let's ban the national flag but not the national flag colors? :evil:  Would be hilarious if FIS told Russians to compete in purple and green or whatever. But they didn't go that far. Why?

27 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

But of course Russians can compete under their flag during World Cup and IBU Cup? Yeah, integrity and all that crap :p

It's a shame Kuzmina has retired, I wonder what would they do with her? :evil:

I thought you know that The ban actually apply equally for all olympic sports beside the OG only for the world championships not for eurpean championships or other competitions like world cups etc..

and honnestly what is about that second question ?

11 minutes ago, hckosice said:

I thought you know that The ban actually apply equally for all olympic sports beside the OG only for the world championships not for eurpean championships or other competitions like world cups etc..

and honnestly what is about that second question ?

I just wanted to point out the whole integrity part is just cherry pickings. I mean even UEFA banned ALL English teams from taking part in European Cups after the Heysel disaster. Hell, they showed more integrity than FIS and IOC ever did with Russia :p

As for Kuzmina, well, it's not like FIS can prevent Russians from changing nationality either :evil: