website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

I'm not so thrilled of having 20 races at one venue. Things can be managed if they group the closer ones, so we can have only one repeat weekend if necessary. Plus they should wait and see, what is the situation with the countries at a later time. 

If they want avoid travelling around whole Europe then better solution would be for example held three stages in the same country but in each weekend in different city, it could work with Oberhof, Ruhpolding, Arber in case of Germany.

All athletes and their staff always travells together in one/two charter planes, so they should avoid infection by some random person anyway. If they will be tested two-three times in week it could work and we would see this season as "normal" one.

3 hours ago, Federer91 said:

I'm not so thrilled of having 20 races at one venue. Things can be managed if they group the closer ones, so we can have only one repeat weekend if necessary. Plus they should wait and see, what is the situation with the countries at a later time. 

I’ll just be thrilled if there’s 20 or more races this season.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I wonder if provisions would be made if no fans in the stands, would they be willing to go to smaller venues, that do not have an A license, to stay closer together.

Norway has a bunch of biathlon venues.  Germany as well.  Italy has at least 3.  Austria has at least two.  So maybe you could do it in groups of two races, then travel to the next group.

I am jsut throwing out ideas here.  

12 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

I wonder if provisions would be made if no fans in the stands, would they be willing to go to smaller venues, that do not have an A license, to stay closer together.

Norway has a bunch of biathlon venues.  Germany as well.  Italy has at least 3.  Austria has at least two.  So maybe you could do it in groups of two races, then travel to the next group.

I am jsut throwing out ideas here.  

Sjusjoen's B-license is supposed to run out after this season IIRC. As for Germany, if Oberhof/Ruhpolding get cancelled there's no way Arber can replace them since the ban will impact the whole country most likely. The most probable replacement venues would be in Russia/Belarus but there's a different problem with them.

The most likely replacement option is Ostersund given how Sweden has approached the COVID completely different to the rest of Europe. Kontiolahti would be my second best pick here.

1 hour ago, RobtheAggie said:

Here is the license list as of the Spring.  I think that there will still be a season, but I do not know what it will look like.

IBU License List.pdf 418.91 kB · 5 downloads

Other question is if the licensing downgrade relates only to spectator capacity.  Because that will obviously be moot.

21 hours ago, rybak said:

If they want avoid travelling around whole Europe then better solution would be for example held three stages in the same country but in each weekend in different city, it could work with Oberhof, Ruhpolding, Arber in case of Germany.

All athletes and their staff always travells together in one/two charter planes, so they should avoid infection by some random person anyway. If they will be tested two-three times in week it could work and we would see this season as "normal" one.

Good luck having a World Cup in tiny Arber even without spectators. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!