website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

So I was thinking about iconic places on each of the world cup/world championship venues.  If I were to stand on the course (away from the range) these are the places I would love to stand at.

1.  Ostersund - On top of the hill, where they do the U turn near about 400 m from the end. 

2. Hochfilzen - I have two, the sharp right hand turn where the camera is, as well as near the top of the long hill.  

3. Oberhof - I think either the really fast right hand turn, or the "S" curve near the straightaway to the finish.

4. Ruhpolding - Skiing in front of the half horseshoe stands right before the range.

5.  Antholtz -The meadow

6.  Nova Mesto - Under the tunnel and up the hill!

7.  Kontiollahti - The Wall

8. Oslo - There are a few, but when they biathletes are in the tuck, with the ski jump on the left, going to the range, that is really cool.

Others:

Khanty-Mansiysk - I really think the bridge over the road that is in the stadium area is cool.

Pokjuka - The twisty downhill - lots of speed

Now, many of these spots would not be the best to see, they would be going to fast, but they just look really neat!

Sorry for the random post, I am just waiting for the next round to start!

In Oberhof we will see tomorrow also the New Tracks for the 2023 World Championships. The course in the stadium is completely new. They not leave the stadium with the downhill to the Birx Steig, rather where they came from, the Entrance of the stadium.

So the continuing saga in Russia:

"Russian Biathlon Union (RBU) President Viktor Maigourov has claimed a lack of incentive for athletes was to blame for the withdrawal of 33 junior competitors after they pulled out of an event following the arrival of doping control officers.

Maigourov cited a combination of the fact the Izhevsk Rifle All-Russian competition lost its status as a qualifier for the Junior World and European Championships, and a poorly scheduled event calendar, as the reason for the mass withdrawal."

Poland opened the domestic season in Duszniki with an "Aim for the Olympics" Polish Cup sprints.

Your winner - Magdalena Gwizdon (age 41) (1 miss) :p

Second place was Kamila Cichon (b. 1997) who shot 10/10 but still finished 44 seconds behind Gwizdon! :lol:

Yup, we're not getting rid of Gwizdon if she's basically a minute faster than girls who can be her daughters :coffee:

Natalia Tomaszewska (b. 1998) finished third.

ErSzKSsXcAEyl48?format=jpg&name=4096x409

According to the IBU, eight people have recently tested positive for the coronavirus six from Bulgaria's team, one from the Czech Republic's and one from Japan'

Nastassia Kinnunen who was born in Belarus and raced for Belarus in Olympic and World Championship cross country and biathlon for them, has been given permission to represent Finland.  She has lived there since 2017, and will start the IBU Cup event in Arber.

If you are a statistics guru, here is an interesting article about the mass-start.  You do not actually need to read the article, they summarize the findings.  Pretty interesting.  

47 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

According to the IBU, eight people have recently tested positive for the coronavirus six from Bulgaria's team, one from the Czech Republic's and one from Japan'

Nastassia Kinnunen who was born in Belarus and raced for Belarus in Olympic and World Championship cross country and biathlon for them, has been given permission to represent Finland.  She has lived there since 2017, and will start the IBU Cup event in Arber.

If you are a statistics guru, here is an interesting article about the mass-start.  You do not actually need to read the article, they summarize the findings.  Pretty interesting.  

It could be nice read it, you know where i can find the paper without pay 250 euros/year? :p

• 2 weeks later...

More videos up at the Russian Biathlon website this weekend, some Russian Cup races from Krasnoyarsk.  As Rob says, it helps if you can at least read cyrillic letters.  :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCftSJDzQwsj1n5vS_fl1LTg