website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

Sweden has cancelled all domestic level biathlon events until 14 December at least.

This means that two events:

Jämtland Härjedalen Cup (Östersund) - December 5th and 6th,

Swedish Cup (Bodens) - December 12th and 13th

Are cancelled.  This also means that Stina Nilsson might not get enough points to make the IBU Cup squad

6 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

Sweden has cancelled all domestic level biathlon events until 14 December at least.

This means that two events:

Jämtland Härjedalen Cup (Östersund) - December 5th and 6th,

Swedish Cup (Bodens) - December 12th and 13th

Are cancelled.  This also means that Stina Nilsson might not get enough points to make the IBU Cup squad

One might wonder, but even without a pandemic surely she knew there was a decent chance she would not have any international race this season?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Two races this weekend to get things going:

Mass start in Sjusjoen -

biathlon  biathlon

And a sprint in Vuokatti, Finalnd - Bulgaria, Finland, Ukraine, and USA. 

Image may contain: indoor  Image may contain: indoor

Glad to see all 6 US women in the top 12, and all within 50 seconds of each other. Mari Eder had a really fast ski time compared to the others as well.  Same thing on the men's side, it was good to see the US team with the exception of Chervenko who is the youngest on the team all within about 2 seconds of each other.  Not the greatest shooting as they all missed 2 except for Max Durtschi who went clean.

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

One might wonder, but even without a pandemic surely she knew there was a decent chance she would not have any international race this season?

I agree, she was going to need to prove her ability with the rifle.  In the sprint she looked ok, the short individual, not so much.  I did wonder in the sprint if she was really trying not to ski too fast.  I thought she would have been faster.  I saw a stat where she and H. Oberg had the same ski time.  I would not have anticipated that.

For her sake, I hope that she is able to race, and that the domestic season works out.  Her on the IBU Cup would give those races a little more sizzle.

The Alpen Cup is still scheduled to happen this season.  If so, they could have a very strong first stop with no IBU Cup yet.  Also with so few Junior races, the quality might increase.

COMPETITION FORE, DATES, COMPETITION TYPES

OBERTILLIACH (AUT) 12/03/20 - 12/13/20

SINGLE | SPRINT SPRINT | SPRINT | SUPER SINGLE

The OPA BAC in Obertilliach is offered to seniors and juniors. If the quotas (40 per nation) allow it, young people can also start.

However, no youth classes are offered. Only OPA BAC Alpine countries are allowed to start.

2 FORNI AVOLTRI (ITA) 07.01.21 - 10.01.21 SINGLE | SPRINT 

3 ARBER (GER) 01/28/21 - 01/31/21 SINGLE | SUPER SPRINT 

4 POKLJUKA (SLO) 03/18/21 - 03/21/21 SPRINT | SUPER SINGLE

Results from a few more trial races:

Austria and Belarus from Obertilliach. 

Men's sprint:

1. Felix Leightner (0+0) 26:17.0
2. Simon Eder (0+0) +4.4
3. Anton Smolsky (0+1) +31.9
4. Nikita Lobastov (0+0) +39.1
5. Harald Lemmerer (1+1) +1:04.7
6. Julian Eberhard (2+0) +1:05.7

Women's short individual:

1. Dinara Alimbekava (0+0+0+1) 29:20
2. Lisa Hauser (0+0+1+0) +0:05
3. Hanna Sola (0+0+1+2) +0:26
4. Christine Reider (0+1+0+0) +0:55
5. Julia Schwaiger (1+0+1+0) +1:14
6. Dunja Zdouc (0+0+2+0) +1:30

And a short individual (10km women and 11.5 km for the men) in Finland where a missed shot was a 20 seconds penalty.

biathlon

Good to see Maddie Phaneuf shoot so well.  I imagine the shooting times were pretty quick, as the 20 sec penalty was not even as much as a normal penalty loop.  Pidhrushna was 36 seconds faster than the next closest on skis, she was really moving.

biathlon

Shooting conditions must have been pretty poor as the fewest misses was Pidruchniy and Nordgren with 3 each.  I imagine the Ski Tunnel helped bring the teams that far North.

If you have not seen this music video for Biathlon yet, it is worth it.  The Norwegian biathlon teams explain all there is to know about the sport.  They even explain why Norwegians like the sport so much.  Good vocals a well.