website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

10 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Is it just me, but it seems that if you have a last name that begins with "H" in Germany, and are a female, you have a much better chance in biathlon.  

Well, Simone Hauswald had better results than Simone Denkinger so maybe you're onto something :whistle:

The Swiss Summer Biathlon Championship was held this past weekend in Andermatt.

Sprint Results 4.5km/6km are here.  Results of note, Sebastian Stalder was only .7 behind Benny Wegner.  On the women's side, 2 of the 3 Gasparin sisters raced.  

Short Individual results are here.  Aita Gasparin won the womens   Stalder won the men's with Sergi Seminov of the Ukraine in 2nd.  

Last event was "Hit the Peak".  Just look at this.  The women run a 4.5km and men 6k up the mountain on roads, then finish with the last part what seems like it is just up.

@RobtheAggie that “Hit the Peak” event reminds me of the Red Bull 400. The Red Bull 400 is a 400m race up a ski jumping large (K125, K120, etc.). I think it’s a creative idea. I always wanted to run a 5km that was completely uphill. I never had the speed to be a good cross country runner, but I had/have very good endurance, and I enjoy hilly terrain.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

@RobtheAggie that “Hit the Peak” event reminds me of the Red Bull 400. The Red Bull 400 is a 400m race up a ski jumping large (K125, K120, etc.). I think it’s a creative idea. I always wanted to run a 5km that was completely uphill. I never had the speed to be a good cross country runner, but I had/have very good endurance, and I enjoy hilly terrain.

Yes, I ran Redbull 400 in Planica three times, it is brutal.

1 minute ago, justony said:

Yes, I ran Redbull 400 in Planica three times, it is brutal.

Probably the hardest hill too because of it’s size. 

I would absolutely love to do a Red Bull 400 one day, but the closest race to me is probably Park City.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Probably the hardest hill too because of it’s size. 

I would absolutely love to do a Red Bull 400 one day, but the closest race to me is probably Park City.

Meanwhile in Slovakia, this race has obviously the finish in the "Ski Jumping hill" of Štrbské Pleso. The competition is each year supposed as a success if the hill still does not fail :lol:

However as a part of summer training preparation of our canoe slalom team, this year Jakub Grigar among mens and Jana Dukátová among womens competed pretty well

jana-dukatova-jakub-grigar-galeria.jpg

Video documentary of the 2020 edition (remember the Štrbské Pleso one is quite hard also because of the altitude)

https://www.redbull.com/sk-sk/videos/red-bull-400-strbske-pleso-2020-video

Russian Summer Biathlon Individual:

Men's 20 km

1. Semyon Suchilov (KhMAO-Yugra) - 49.28.0 (2 misses)

2. Matvey Eliseev (Moscow) - +39.3 (2)

3.Igor Malinovsky (Omsk region) - +57.4 (0).

Women's 15 km

1. Victoria Slivko

Upcoming IBU Vote - The article talks about what Canada will do with the loss of the IBU Junior Cup and the early IBU Cup races.  But near the end is the nugget.

"Currently, the full BMW IBU World Cup schedule is going ahead as planned. However, the IBU executive board is meeting from Sept. 26-27 to decide whether adjustments will be made to the world cup’s November and December events.

Wadsworth said there is a concern similar changes could be made to the world cup circuit. His gut feeling is that the races before Christmas will be scaled back."

Wadsworth is the head coach of the Canadian National Biathlon Team.

I think that this is also the meeting where the IBU World Championships are awarded.  I do not remember if the new locations for the IBU Cup will be announced as well.  You wonder how many people will travel to China for that race.

Russian IBU Cup Biathlete Kristina Reztsova will take the season off due to pregnancy.

Russian Summer Biathlon Sprint Results

Women

1. Yakaterina Glazyrina 22:51.1

2. Svetlana Mironova 22:53.0

3.  Evgenia Pavlova 23:00.7

Alexader Loginov (I always think about the cook in The Hunt for Red October) did not race in either the individual or sprint due to an elbow injury.