website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

4 minutes ago, Quasit said:

https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyklistika_na_Letných_olympijských_hrách_2016

Jolien D'Hooreová, Anna van der Breggenová, does this even make sense? :d 

Also, seems like Chinese names are spelled in a totally different way in Slovak.

Shi Jinglin becomes  Š' Ťing-lin.

That’s true in lots of languages though.  Also for cyrillic names transcribed to western languages.

2 hours ago, hckosice said:

Yes, haha no Bull fighting tradition here.  Anyway, I don´t know why but I always thought Matador is quite famous brand also abroad. I was completelly wrong, I guess :lol:

Btw Artmedia Petržalka (that´s the offical name) is still existing in our 2nd league, (they changed the name to Bratislava for the european cups, because I assume not many people will be able to read the original name without broking their tongues)

Petržalka is the "infamous" district in the capital Bratislava, was originally build in the 70´s to help the problem with sudden population increase of the city, but ended only being the national leader in drugs and other criminality rating already during the late 80´s, another epic fail of the communism era :p

Reveal hidden contents

wow! those photos are quite scary...I thought here in Italy (and especially in Milan, Rome and Naples) we had some of the most scary blocks where living is a true nightmare, but this looks also a God's punishment as well...:facepalm:

1 hour ago, hckosice said:

and one special gift. Starting number 78 in the bottom of the live ticker, do you recognize her ? :phttps://sport.aktuality.sk/c/317599/online-me-v-biatlone-sprint-zien-s-paulinou-fialkovou-a-spol/

Heard of her :d:wub: Also Picinova, Colebournova and Neresova :d 

Jenny Enodd becomes Enoddoova by the way? :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Grassmarket said:

That’s true in lots of languages though.  Also for cyrillic names transcribed to western languages.

Even that transcription has changed over the years.

First it was Alexei Mikhailichenko and now even the English wikipedia has him as Oleksiy Mykhaylychenko (which is more true to his Ukrainian ethnicity)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleksiy_Mykhaylychenko

Also the Belarussian names are translated as "anaou" rather than the Russian "anov"

The infamous Ivan Tikhon (hammer thrower) became Ivan Tsikhan over the years.

11 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Heywoodová

Not quite. Heywoodu can’t really belong to himself unless he was born asexually, which seems highly unlikely given my knowledge of human anatomy. From what I understand, we could have Bruna Heywooduová though :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Not quite. Heywoodu can’t really belong to himself unless he was born asexually, which seems highly unlikely given my knowledge of human anatomy. From what I understand, we could have Bruna Heywooduová though :d

Yes, that's what I meant  - have you checked the number 78 on the start list @hckosice linked to? (I mean, I already knew who to expect there from the context given).

1 hour ago, Quasit said:

https://sk.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyklistika_na_Letných_olympijských_hrách_2016

Jolien D'Hooreová, Anna van der Breggenová, does this even make sense? :d 

Also, seems like Chinese names are spelled in a totally different way in Slovak.

Shi Jinglin becomes  Š' Ťing-lin.

Well, it makes sense, because everyone will immediatelly know that they are womens :d

1 minute ago, hckosice said:

Well, it makes sense, because everyone will immediatelly know that they are womens :d

BREAKING NEWS: Caster Semenya appealing to CAS as Slovakian media relate to her as "Semenyová". Seems her chances has significantly grown up.