website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

This was announced elsewhere but no Winter University Games in 2021.  So no Biathlon at Lenzerheide for that.

It doesn't say there is no Winter Universiade in 2021, just not in January. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Kaisa Mäkäräinen won three races at the Finnish Summer Championships.  No she is not making a comeback, but just having fun.

German Summer Biathlon Championships.

15km - Johnannes Donhaus 20 for 20 at 37:30.8

10 km sprint - Dominiks Šmuks 24:25.3 10 for 10

12.5 km - Simon Shemp 31:38.2 

Surprised that this thread didn't blow up yet :mumble:

Apparently, the IBU World Cup is going to run as scheduled, with possibilities for venue changes in the first semester.

Since health precautions cannot be guaranteed at the level of the World Cup, the Junior cup for the following season is cancelled, as well as the European Junior Championships, so the only start for juniors next season is going to be the World Championships in Obertiliach.

IBU cup is also going to be delayed a lot with first races starting in January. No comment on how athletes are going to be qualifying to the World Cup was given.

https://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detail/ibu-adjusts-competition-schedule-for-2020-21-season?fbclid=IwAR3OWCmhUuP-mW6sn3T2HZONvUHzpU_sXZSqkvaTKaNHrKdLfTt2ceCsWsA

17 hours ago, Werloc said:

Surprised that this thread didn't blow up yet :mumble:

Apparently, the IBU World Cup is going to run as scheduled, with possibilities for venue changes in the first semester.

Since health precautions cannot be guaranteed at the level of the World Cup, the Junior cup for the following season is cancelled, as well as the European Junior Championships, so the only start for juniors next season is going to be the World Championships in Obertiliach.

IBU cup is also going to be delayed a lot with first races starting in January. No comment on how athletes are going to be qualifying to the World Cup was given.

https://www.biathlonworld.com/news/detail/ibu-adjusts-competition-schedule-for-2020-21-season?fbclid=IwAR3OWCmhUuP-mW6sn3T2HZONvUHzpU_sXZSqkvaTKaNHrKdLfTt2ceCsWsA

Thanks for the summary.  I was at a cross country race, so I have been away from my computer.

Not surprised about the announcement.  I do feel bad for the youth/juniors.  So, I guess in the long run, who does this benefit the most?  A nation like Norway or Russia with a robust domestic scene that allows for continued youth/junior races?  Or does this announcement kill the domestic races as well?  No idea.

47 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Thanks for the summary.  I was at a cross country race, so I have been away from my computer.

Not surprised about the announcement.  I do feel bad for the youth/juniors.  So, I guess in the long run, who does this benefit the most?  A nation like Norway or Russia with a robust domestic scene that allows for continued youth/junior races?  Or does this announcement kill the domestic races as well?  No idea.

I'm just wondering how many Lithuanian juniors are just going to quit this year if they're not travelling or racing at all, especially if it's a snowless winter again. 

We constantly have trouble with young biathletes quitting and leaving a huge gap in the B team, so yeah, I wonder how this season will affect that.

1 minute ago, RobtheAggie said:

Gabriela Koukalova and her husband have gotten a divorce.  Honest question with the Czech language.  Does she lose the -lova in her last name?

Nope, women cannot lose the -ova in her surname. :p  because it is the ending of female surnames. She may returns to her father´s surname - Soukal - so she will be again Soukalová.

17 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Gabriela Koukalova and her husband have gotten a divorce.  Honest question with the Czech language.  Does she lose the -lova in her last name?

Recently one of the German skeleton sliders transferred to CZE and she automatically became Anna Fernstaedova.  If you were to transfer to Latvia you would automatically become Robs TheAggies, because that is a grammatical requirement of Latvian (masculine nominative single)

But we are missing the main point guys!  Gabriella Soukalová is single again!  :banana::hyper: