website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

Just now, RobtheAggie said:

Do you think we will see the World Championships outside of Europe in the next 15 years? 

Pyeongchang world championships were not exactly advertisement for that :lol: 

Although of course South Korea isn't the best non-European choice.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I also wonder if there is a thought process in the IBU that goes like this.

We will try a venue with the IBU Junior/Youth Cups ... if successful, we will "promote" you to consideration for IBU Cup/ events... if successful, promotion to WC events.  If successful. World Championships.

11 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Watch me try and bring this thread back to biathlon.  

The last Biathlon World Championships was back in 1994 at Canmore.  Lake Placid had it back in 1987 and 1973.  Do you think we will see the World Championships outside of Europe in the next 15 years?  I know that in 2023 Lake Placid is hosting the World University Games, a step back into the limelight for them?  They are putting a decent amount of money into the biathlon venue there.  

That would make 4 potential venues in the US and 2 in Canada.  

Also as an aside, I sat in on a USBA zoom meeting (with permission) they are moving to a more regional concept with Biathlon Canada, and the Nordic Tour.  They want the biathletes to race in Nordic races as well as biathlon ones.  The races will be more localized to increase participation instead of trying to do a race series over the entire continent.  

Yep, looking forward on being 1 of the 5 (10 max) people there :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I also wonder if there is a thought process in the IBU that goes like this.

We will try a venue with the IBU Junior/Youth Cups ... if successful, we will "promote" you to consideration for IBU Cup/ events... if successful, promotion to WC events.  If successful. World Championships.

Also, here is the venue list as of early this year of places that have either a Class A or Class B license.

IBU License List.pdf 418.91 kB · 1 download

I still can't get over how easy they publish lists of class A and B licenses and so on, but how completely secret they are about the incredibly, totally important IBU Qualifying Points List that's nowhere to be found :facepalm:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

I still can't get over how easy they publish lists of class A and B licenses and so on, but how completely secret they are about the incredibly, totally important IBU Qualifying Points List that's nowhere to be found :facepalm:

It was not easy, I had to ask and wait on this for about 4 months.  But I see your point.

1 minute ago, RobtheAggie said:

It was not easy, I had to ask and wait on this for about 4 months.  But I see your point.

Oh :d  I had seen it before a few times, that's why. Anyway, it is available, unlike the points list..

Yes, the IBU has been very helpful.  I only had to send one e-mail and got a great response.  Subsequent e-mails have helped been quickly answered.  Right now I am actually working on a relatively short term paper on Swiss Biathlon (more there than you might think) and a longer term one on the USBA.  Lots of really interesting things there.  The Swiss biathlon paper should be published in November.

5 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Yes, the IBU has been very helpful.  I only had to send one e-mail and got a great response.  Subsequent e-mails have helped been quickly answered.  Right now I am actually working on a relatively short term paper on Swiss Biathlon (more there than you might think) and a longer term one on the USBA.  Lots of really interesting things there.  The Swiss biathlon paper should be published in November.

Cool. I love when federations take an active interest in people’s work. I’ve found quite a few to be rather helpful, but some are just awful (here’s looking at you OCA, PGC, and Atos :thumbdown:). I’m glad that they’ve been supportive though because your research sounds interesting. Hopefully my contribution helped in some way :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Cool. I love when federations take an active interest in people’s work. I’ve found quite a few to be rather helpful, but some are just awful (here’s looking at you OCA, PGC, and Atos :thumbdown:). I’m glad that they’ve been supportive though because your research sounds interesting. Hopefully my contribution helped in some way :d

It has, that one is for the larger/longer one.  I appreciate it.  COVID19 has helped and hurt.  I can not travel anywhere nor can I get anything from other libraries, but is has allowed me to work on what I do have, and can access.  So good and bad.