website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I wouldn’t exactly consider that a problem with the venue. It’s not like Biathlon is popular in the U.S., and Soldier Hollow is still a nice venue. Baku has a beautiful Aquatics Centre that often well filled for events, and Azerbaijan has zero Aquatics tradition.

Azerbaijan has oil money to spend just like Qatar and they don't care what they spend it for as long as it brings global sporting events. This is a luxury most of Europe can't afford.

Meanwhile Switzerland doesn't even want to host Winter Olympics as the Sion bid was rejected in local referendum. So much for their winter traditions being any useful :p

So this is what is know upcoming for the World Championships:

2021 - Pokluka, Slovenia

2022 - Beijing, China (Olympic Winter Games)

2023 - Oberhof, Germany

2024 - Looks like Nova Mesto, Czech Republic

2025 - Looks like either Minsk or Lenzerheide

Minsk has hosted the World Championships in 1974 (chronicled in the great book about Soviet Biathlon Everyone to Skis), 1982 and 1990.  It was the go to spot in the USSR.

Switzerland hosted the 2nd Women's World Championship in Egg, near Einsiedein.  They have hosted IBU Cup/IBU Junior Cup events multiple times in the past, including a success from Youth/Junior World Championships this past year.  

Minsk has hosted quite a bit of IBU Cup/European Championships in recent years.  They are also on the IBU World Cup circuit in 2022.  So I would not be surprised that a they will be rewarded with the World Champs 2025.   It would also be a nod towards Russian fans.

I personally would love to see Switzerland get it, but if I were a betting man, Mink is awarded it.

3 hours ago, Monzanator said:

Meanwhile Switzerland doesn't even want to host Winter Olympics as the Sion bid was rejected in local referendum. So much for their winter traditions being any useful :p

In the 1970s-1990s there were lots of Swiss cities that bid for the Winter Olympics.  

1928 - St Moritz - Host

1948 - St Mortiz - Host

1960 - St Mortiz - 4th of 4 cities

1976 - Sion - 2nd of 4 cities (Interlaken and Bern also submitted bids to the Swiss Olympic Committee)

2002 - Sion - 3rd of 4 cities

2006 - Sion - 2nd of 2 cities

I think that the people of Sion and the canton of Valais are simply tired of being overlooked.  I know that they are always seen as a choice that could step up if something happened to another site.  Kind of like that girl/boy that you have been friends with forever and have failed to notice that they have become quite a catch, but you always have your eye on someone else.

Each of the Sion bids, had the sliding sports in St.Moritz.

2 hours ago, RobtheAggie said:

In the 1970s-1990s there were lots of Swiss cities that bid for the Winter Olympics.  

1928 - St Moritz - Host

1948 - St Mortiz - Host

1960 - St Mortiz - 4th of 4 cities

1976 - Sion - 2nd of 4 cities (Interlaken and Bern also submitted bids to the Swiss Olympic Committee)

2002 - Sion - 3rd of 4 cities

2006 - Sion - 2nd of 2 cities

I think that the people of Sion and the canton of Valais are simply tired of being overlooked.  I know that they are always seen as a choice that could step up if something happened to another site.  Kind of like that girl/boy that you have been friends with forever and have failed to notice that they have become quite a catch, but you always have your eye on someone else.

Each of the Sion bids, had the sliding sports in St.Moritz.

The issue with the Sion bids is that the Swiss public was educated enough to know that hosting the Olympics was a poor choice based on the modern track record of the last few games.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 hours ago, Monzanator said:

There's one problem about Lenzerheide, alpine skiing is still more popular than biathlon in Switzerland ;)

The other option is Minsk, people only make some sound there when there's someone from Belarus passing by.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 hours ago, heywoodu said:

The other option is Minsk, people only make some sound there when there's someone from Belarus passing by.

I agree, it is a little odd to see people make almost no noise.  I am really looking to Nova Mesto again.  That place is loud.  

My heart says Switzerland, the financials say Minsk.  Just my gusses.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

The issue with the Sion bids is that the Swiss public was educated enough to know that hosting the Olympics was a poor choice based on the modern track record of the last few games.

What is interesting though now, the Olympics have at least swung towards a more sustainable model, which Sion and Valais would support more, at least in theory.  Sorry for the diversion into Olympic politics.

I would love to see the bids.  I wonder if Nova Mesto has written into its bid that if they win 2024, they pull out of 2025?  I would assume so.

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Everyone knows you're losing money by hosting the Olympics. Montreal paid off the 1976 debt after, what, 30 years? :lol:  That's why Olympics will be hosted by countries who can afford spending public money without much control - like China, Qatar or Azerbaijan. If you told me 20 years ago that China will be hosting Winter Games I'd never believe it. And now it's reality.

7 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Raubichi could be the next big thing in biathlon. Tyumen & Khanty-Mansiysk could be on IBU black-list for a while yet plus their location is very distant compared to Minsk.

@RobtheAggie  Garmisch-Partenkirchen also rejected the WOG hosting bid in a referendum recently (co-host with Munich).

25 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Raubichi could be the next big thing in biathlon. Tyumen & Khanty-Mansiysk could be on IBU black-list for a while yet plus their location is very distant compared to Minsk.

I have wondered with Kaisa retired, does Raubichi replace Kontiolahti as a regular stop on the World Cup.  Who knows.

35 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

I have wondered with Kaisa retired, does Raubichi replace Kontiolahti as a regular stop on the World Cup.  Who knows.

Kontiolahti is guaranteed snow though.  Or at least extreme cold.  :beer: