website statistics

Biathlon 2020 - 2021 Discussion Thread

Wumo

Besides, that's like Lance Armstrong saying he used doping when absolutely everyone in the world was already convinced about Armstrong using doping :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Besides, that's like Lance Armstrong saying he used doping when absolutely everyone in the world was already convinced about Armstrong using doping :lol: 

But for Russia, even that admission is a big one.

Here is another one, I like the quote from Khovantsev: : "Between 2002 and 2014, you could count clean [Russian] biathletes on the fingers of one hand."

Ouch, that is pretty all encompassing.  Now is this surprising, no.    

Not a surprise but Summer Biathlon World Championships is cancelled

IBU Congress rescheduled to 13-15 November 2020 in Prague.

Summer Biathlon World Championships in 2021 in Nove Mesto na Morave

World Championship bids:

2024: Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic
2025: Lenzerheide, Switzerland; Minsk-Raubichi, Belarus; Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic

13 minutes ago, RobtheAggie said:

Not a surprise but Summer Biathlon World Championships is cancelled

IBU Congress rescheduled to 13-15 November 2020 in Prague.

Summer Biathlon World Championships in 2021 in Nove Mesto na Morave

World Championship bids:

2024: Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic
2025: Lenzerheide, Switzerland; Minsk-Raubichi, Belarus; Nove Mesto na Morave, Czech Republic

Nove Mesto in 2025 would be stupid if they already get it in 2024 for which they're the only bid? Minsk is a little soulless, Lenzerheide is absolutely fantastic, so Lenzerheide please :wub: 

Far and away my favourite biathlon place in the world.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

6 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nove Mesto in 2025 would be stupid if they already get it in 2024 for which they're the only bid? Minsk is a little soulless, Lenzerheide is absolutely fantastic, so Lenzerheide please :wub: 

Far and away my favourite biathlon place in the world.

I don’t know, Hotham is pretty state of the art :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t know, Hotham is pretty state of the art :p

As far as Australian biathlon venues go, yeah :p But I haven't been there, so I can only really judge Obertilliach, Lenzerheide, Martell and Arber and although apart from Martell they're all excellent, Lenzerheide absolutely wins it :d 

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

As far as Australian biathlon venues go, yeah :p But I haven't been there, so I can only really judge Obertilliach, Lenzerheide, Martell and Arber and although apart from Martell they're all excellent, Lenzerheide absolutely wins it :d 

From the ones I’ve seen, I’ve only ever been to Soldier Hollow, I really like Almaty, Les Tuffes, and Antholz-Anterselva (at least based off venues I can remember vividly, and love of their trails). I like venues that are really unique, and standout. I like trails with natural scenery, difficult climbs/descents, and unique layouts/features.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

56 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

There's one problem about Lenzerheide, alpine skiing is still more popular than biathlon in Switzerland ;)

33 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

There's one problem about Lenzerheide, alpine skiing is still more popular than biathlon in Switzerland ;)

I wouldn’t exactly consider that a problem with the venue. It’s not like Biathlon is popular in the U.S., and Soldier Hollow is still a nice venue. Baku has a beautiful Aquatics Centre that often well filled for events, and Azerbaijan has zero Aquatics tradition.