website statistics

Golf at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

Danylove80

1 hour ago, JoshMartini007 said:

I wonder what their excuse would have been if Zika wasn't an issue. It's hard to paint everyone with the same brush, but the fact no women have withdrawn due to the virus paints a telling picture. At least golfers from the US and Great Britain have remained (so far).

Though I do agree that zika seems like the easy way out, I do believe that some of them are actually worried. I believe that it's a matter of how they look at the tournament. Men's golf is already popular in many countries, meaning that they don't have as much to win with the olympic participation as women's golf.

What I mean is that it is a tournament that is easier to miss for the best men, who will more or less get the same attention during the majors, while the women will without doubt get more during the Olympics.

It's still not positive, but I do actually believe that zika is the reason for at least some players.

10 minutes ago, Agger said:

Though I do agree that zika seems like the easy way out, I do believe that some of them are actually worried. I believe that it's a matter of how they look at the tournament. Men's golf is already popular in many countries, meaning that they don't have as much to win with the olympic participation as women's golf.

What I mean is that it is a tournament that is easier to miss for the best men, who will more or less get the same attention during the majors, while the women will without doubt get more during the Olympics.

It's still not positive, but I do actually believe that zika is the reason for at least some players.

Disease is always something to worry about, there are always risks, not just from Zika, but other diseases such as yellow fever.

Also while the top nations may not say it, golf is far from worldwide, just look at the top 100. 45 are from the United States and 15 are from Great Britain (England/Wales/Scotland), there's a reason why we have to go to almost world ranking #350 just to fill out the roster. Golf at the Olympics wasn't about the already established nations it was about getting other nations into the sport.

Just now, Agger said:

If another one does so, you may risk ending up with only one player.

That's true but I guess that wouldn't matter now anyway as I can't see any of the remaining golfers getting near the medals. To think this offered such promise not so long ago :(

2 minutes ago, OlympicIRL said:

That's true but I guess that wouldn't matter now anyway as I can't see any of the remaining golfers getting near the medals. To think this offered such promise not so long ago :(

Never underestimate Harrington! :cheer:

38 minutes ago, Agger said:

Never underestimate Harrington! :cheer:

That's the one positive, I love that Padraig now gets his chance and he has been saying all along that he would love to play at the Olympics. He was one of those who campaigned for its inclusion too so I am really happy that he will take his place in the Irish team :)

2 hours ago, OlympicIRL said:

That's the one positive, I love that Padraig now gets his chance and he has been saying all along that he would love to play at the Olympics. He was one of those who campaigned for its inclusion too so I am really happy that he will take his place in the Irish team :)

That makes 2 of us! :clap: