website statistics

Top 10 countries with the most Olympic medals

yom

1 minute ago, JoshMartini007 said:

That's still a preference, "I'd rather compete for Ukraine, because I have a better chance to move my career forward." Regardless, we won't be able to classify all athletes is my argument. Some people have strong ethnic ties, others have ties to where they were born while others would compete for whoever gives them the best option.

This contradicts Olympian1010's statement that all Yugoslavia medals should be awarded to Serbia bc "Serbia dominated Yugoslav politics" (even though Broz Tito wasn't even a Serb to begin with :p ).

Baltic nations athletes would most likely refuse to compete for Russia even though if Russia had a better national team perspectives.

16 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This contradicts Olympian1010's statement that all Yugoslavia medals should be awarded to Serbia bc "Serbia dominated Yugoslav politics" (even though Broz Tito wasn't even a Serb to begin with :p ).

Baltic nations athletes would most likely refuse to compete for Russia even though if Russia had a better national team perspectives.

But in this case, political history is the best and probably only way to categorize defunct countries. Yugoslavia was the successor to the Kingdom of Serbia after WW1. They gained territories with ethnic Croats, Slovenians etc. and they changed the name of the country.  There was no official country of Croatia, Slovenia etc. before the 90s. All medals won by Croats, Slovenians were won, when they were part of an established historical country, whether it was Austria-Hungary or Yugoslavia.  

" The Olympic Committee of Serbia, created in 1910 and recognized in 1912, is deemed the direct successor to both Yugoslav Olympic Committee and the Olympic Committee of Serbia and Montenegro by IOC, and therefore the inheritor to all the records of the defunct nations." 

http://oks.org.rs/istorija-olimpijskog-komiteta-srbije/?lang=sr-latn

"Both FIFA and UEFA consider the Serbian national team to be the direct and sole successor of the Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro teams." 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/member-associations/association=srb/

Let's say in 10 years Bavaria wants to split from Germany and be it's own country. Will all the medals won by current Bavarian athletes stop counting toward Germany's overall record. Of course not. Those medals were won, when they were part of the country Germany. When Bavaria splits, they become their own country, without any inheritance, because their former political state still exists. They start from scratch. 

It is the same for Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia etc.They were provinces, which gained independence and started from scratch. They can't have any claims to former records, because they broke from Yugoslavia, and what was left continued again as Serbia. 

The same thesis should be applied to the Soviet Union and Russia. The republics were all part from the Russian Empire up to the end of WW1. The West tried to dismantle the Empire, but the Republics combined again (bar the Baltic States) almost instantly, but this time it was called the Soviet Union. Ukraine, Belarus, etc. never competed separately until the 90s. at the Olympics. Russia is considered a legal successor of the Soviet Union, while the rest started writing history as new nations. 

22 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Really all this proves is that medal counts shouldn't be a big deal. That’s why I rarely bother with reporting on the medal table. I care more about individual moments and competitions, than how high country x ranks on a medal table. Medal tables are fun to look at, but I don’t think they should be taken a seriously as they are.

I think it's a perspective of someone from a country who won tons of medals right ?

I come from a small country where every medal counts and is a great thing !

45 minutes ago, yom said:

I think it's a perspective of someone from a country who won tons of medals right ?

I come from a small country where every medal counts and is a great thing !

Right, but I it’s the feeling that moment gives people that matters. If have no problems with medal tables per game. I just think all-time tables are a dumb idea. My hope for a country isn’t to win x amount of gold medals, or silver medals, or bronze medals. It’s that we qualify as many athletes as possible, that are athletes put on an entertaining show, that our athletes create a few surprises, and that our athlete perform to their best potential. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Oh believe me, I’m pretty sure he has all the statistics. 

@Dragon How do Olympic Historians handle this issue? Has their been any ground rules made? Or do most not care about topics like the all-time medal table?

For what it is worth all-time medal tables for individual sports at world and continental level all seem to take the same stance on those countries which have emerged from the break up of former countries or in the case of Germany split and reunified. We may or may not agree with them but there is little chance that the treatment of the medals won by those countries or their successors is going to change.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

But in this case, political history is the best and probably only way to categorize defunct countries. Yugoslavia was the successor to the Kingdom of Serbia after WW1. They gained territories with ethnic Croats, Slovenians etc. and they changed the name of the country.  There was no official country of Croatia, Slovenia etc. before the 90s. All medals won by Croats, Slovenians were won, when they were part of an established historical country, whether it was Austria-Hungary or Yugoslavia.  

" The Olympic Committee of Serbia, created in 1910 and recognized in 1912, is deemed the direct successor to both Yugoslav Olympic Committee and the Olympic Committee of Serbia and Montenegro by IOC, and therefore the inheritor to all the records of the defunct nations." 

http://oks.org.rs/istorija-olimpijskog-komiteta-srbije/?lang=sr-latn

"Both FIFA and UEFA consider the Serbian national team to be the direct and sole successor of the Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro teams." 

https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/member-associations/association=srb/

Let's say in 10 years Bavaria wants to split from Germany and be it's own country. Will all the medals won by current Bavarian athletes stop counting toward Germany's overall record. Of course not. Those medals were won, when they were part of the country Germany. When Bavaria splits, they become their own country, without any inheritance, because their former political state still exists. They start from scratch. 

It is the same for Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia etc.They were provinces, which gained independence and started from scratch. They can't have any claims to former records, because they broke from Yugoslavia, and what was left continued again as Serbia. 

The same thesis should be applied to the Soviet Union and Russia. The republics were all part from the Russian Empire up to the end of WW1. The West tried to dismantle the Empire, but the Republics combined again (bar the Baltic States) almost instantly, but this time it was called the Soviet Union. Ukraine, Belarus, etc. never competed separately until the 90s. at the Olympics. Russia is considered a legal successor of the Soviet Union, while the rest started writing history as new nations. 

So much bullshit unbelievable ?

and that from a northern Macedonian ?

In my opinion the idea of counting medals just as how many every country got is not that simple and, it's depending on who you ask .

since in Moscow 1980 for example not every country participated same goes to muinch 1972 LA 1984 so to count  medals in those cases is completely different that let's say Rio 2016 or London 2012 furthermore in 1924 and 1936 for example there were countries that participated and no longer exist and countries that takes part today that did not existed so it's again weird to count medals based on it but on the other hand there are countries that get tickets for athletes that are not even on the top just because of geographical place like Oceana so what i belive that should be counting in the end is how  much athletes did a certain country managed to send and what percent of them managed to get to SF/Final/podium/win gold since it's shows relatively the success because it's far more impressive if a country who sent 2 athletes and hat one got a medal ,would have been compared with a country who sent 70 and returned with 5 medals. SIDE NOTE I think it's an interesting subject the policies of some countries regarding the subject of sending athletes to the game, i can tell that in Israel for example an athletes needs to be in one of 4 categories that were made by the Israeli Olympic comitee in order to go to the games it's not just about getting a quota so the size of the team could have been bigger but it has been decided to do so in order to keep the ratio i mentioned before i guess in every country it works different.

THE END:thankyou:

On 13/04/2020 at 16:00, Federer91 said:

You can't have an accurate all time medal table, when Russian athletes (medals) are counted in one, two, three, four teams, while China for example has all in one. The same goes for other nations. 

Well, this is Russia's problem, not China's. Medal tables are nothing but political, and if a given territory is so problematic that it can't stay united for more than 50 years, this is not China's or the IOC's problem. Besides, it's not up to the IOC to define which situation applies to Russia or whatnot, since other nations can require the same treatment and get nothing in return (Serbia, Czech Republic, and so on, which would be unfair to Croatia, Slovenia, Slovakia and other nations). 

8 hours ago, Dnl said:

SIDE NOTE I think it's an interesting subject the policies of some countries regarding the subject of sending athletes to the game, i can tell that in Israel for example an athletes needs to be in one of 4 categories that were made by the Israeli Olympic comitee in order to go to the games it's not just about getting a quota so the size of the team could have been bigger but it has been decided to do so in order to keep the ratio i mentioned before i guess in every country it works different.

whoever reaches the quota or qualifying standard made by the International Federation, or receives an additional invitation from the International Federation or reallocation will be sent to the OG by our Olympic Committee. We not return back quotas (only if the athlete himself refuses it due injury, illness, important reason or any other reason, he has to notify our committee that he will not be able to compete)

However it is always more or less the same amount of athletes, if you look at our stats we are always sending around 50-60 athletes, with the only exception being Sydney 2000 (thanks 3 team sports we send more than 100)