website statistics

Equestrian at the Summer Olympic Games 2016

dcro

26 minutes ago, dcro said:

Teams are supposed to earn gold at the Olympics, not just go there and win because they are the favorites or because they dominate.There is a bit of luck in every sport, but XC is not a lottery. If it is then Jung is one incredibly lucky chap :lol:

But whatever, thankfully the IOC doesn't freak out and want sport out of the Olympics whenever favorites don't win, so I'm not worried at all. ;)

I said that its a lottery if its a course like today, not in general ...

1/4 of all the riders were eliminated or retired during cross-country. Of the remaining 48 riders 22 had a refusal. So out of 64 athletes in total only 26 were able to ride the course as planned, for me thats not acceptable. Each team had at least one rider who got eliminated or had a refusal, so obviously it wasnt about having a bad day, no nation really knew how to handle the course.

IOC will kick out eventing and probably also dressage sooner or later, but probably for another reason. There are just extremely few people who care about this sport and thats all that IOC is about.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

23 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

I said that its a lottery if its a course like today, not in general ...

1/4 of all the riders were eliminated or retired during cross-country. Of the remaining 48 riders 22 had a refusal. So out of 64 athletes in total only 26 were able to ride the course as planned, for me thats not acceptable. Each team had at least one rider who got eliminated or had a refusal, so obviously it wasnt about having a bad day, no nation really knew how to handle the course.

IOC will kick out eventing and probably also dressage sooner or later, but probably for another reason. There are just extremely few people who care about this sport and thats all that IOC is about.

No, you don't realize that this outcome was nothing extraordinary in terms of mistakes. Olympics are 4* level competition and in such competitions (like Badminton or Burghley) almost half of competitors get eliminated quite often. Also it happens at championships: at 2014 WEG 28/91 didn't finish. At 2015 Europeans 20/60 didn't finish. You notice only when Germany makes mistakes? Wanting cross-country with no refusals is almost like wanting jumping with no fences down.

I'll stop with this "discussion" now as I have better things to do

#banbestmen

51 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah i think all teams had at least one athlete who got eliminated or had a refusal, i guess for all of them it was just bad luck ...

Klimkes mistake was obvious, she was riding too fast and therefore missed the obstacle, the german coach told her to risk everything.

If this is what eventing should look like for you, then it hopefully will be kicked out of the olympics because no one wants to watch this shitty lottery.

Well, I (absolutely not being much of an equestrian fan) loved it ;)

vor 10 Stunden schrieb dcro:

No, you don't realize that this outcome was nothing extraordinary in terms of mistakes. Olympics are 4* level competition and in such competitions (like Badminton or Burghley) almost half of competitors get eliminated quite often. Also it happens at championships: at 2014 WEG 28/91 didn't finish. At 2015 Europeans 20/60 didn't finish. You notice only when Germany makes mistakes? Wanting cross-country with no refusals is almost like wanting jumping with no fences down.

I'll stop with this "discussion" now as I have better things to do

Yeah, but this time 38 out of 64 were eliminated, had to retire or had a refusal. So if this is quite normal, then please tell me:

1) When was the last time that more than 59% werent able to finish the course as planned? Simple question and if a course like that is quite normal for a competition like olympic games or world championships, then you should be able to find the answer pretty fast.

2) When was the last time that no team was able to finish the course with all four riders as planned, having no refusal/retirement/elimination?

I understand that most people want to see Germany lose, so i dont expect anyone here to have an unbiased opinion, especially because you expressed before that you are not a great fan of Jung, despite the fact that he is without a doubt the greatest eventing rider of all time.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

30 minutes ago, OlympicsFan said:

Yeah, but this time 38 out of 64 were eliminated, had to retire or had a refusal. So if this is quite normal, then please tell me:

1) When was the last time that more than 59% werent able to finish the course as planned? Simple question and if a course like that is quite normal for a competition like olympic games or world championships, then you should be able to find the answer pretty fast.

2) When was the last time that no team was able to finish the course with all four riders as planned, having no refusal/retirement/elimination?

I understand that most people want to see Germany lose, so i dont expect anyone here to have an unbiased opinion, especially because you expressed before that you are not a great fan of Jung, despite the fact that he is without a doubt the greatest eventing rider of all time.

LOL, I've never said anything about not being a fan of Jung or Germany. I've always supported Germany in equestrian, especially in dressage (even though you are starting to make it hard so I'll just ignore you from now on and enjoy the competition).

1) Again it was in Normandy 2014, 54/91.

2) Again, it was in Normandy 2014

Refusals are part of this sport. You've never followed this closely so you don't understand, I'm not playing to be an expert in sports I don't follow closely. Olympics are supposed to be even tougher than WEG or Europeans because they are 3* competitions while Olympics is 4*. If you have ever watched a 4* competition then you would know that commentator there just keeps talking about refusals and stops on course that happen because they happen all the time, and they are supposed to happen as it is part of the sport.

#banbestmen

In about 10 minutes the 2nd horse inspection for eventing will start. This one will be the more important as horses still need to be fit after XC. Sadly, we usually lose few riders after this, but keeping my fingers crossed it goes well. :fingers:

Meanwhile, yesterday we had horse inspection for dressage. 58/60 have passed yesterday. :ITA Truppa's Chablis and :SWE Nilshagen's Dante Weltino didn't pass and they will be re-inspected today.

#banbestmen

2 minutes ago, dcro said:

In about 10 minutes the 2nd horse inspection for eventing will start. This one will be the more important as horses still need to be fit after XC. Sadly, we usually lose few riders after this, but keeping my fingers crossed it goes well. :fingers:

Meanwhile, yesterday we had horse inspection for dressage. 58/60 have passed yesterday. :ITA Truppa's Chablis and :SWE Nilshagen's Dante Weltino didn't pass and they will be re-inspected today.

How we can follow the live?