website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

12 hours ago, NikolaB said:

Love him or not, Libya was much better place than today. And how many peple lost their lives in bloody civil war there, hundreds of thousands...

Afghanistan is the best example how big nations play the game

Was USA right to invade Libya? No

Is situation now in Libya worse than it was under Gaddafi? Yes 

But does this mean that Gaddafi was net positive for Libya? Hell No

In fact, USA might argue that the situation in Libya is worse because they didn't commit enough boots on ground, that if there was sizeable US troops in Libya, situation would be less volatile. 

What US and some its value sharing allies don’t understand is that in poor countries with poverty what people urgently need is not freedom or democracy. They may even never think about that. What they need is food and clean water. The next step is meat, shelter and land. The next next step is money, education and healthcare. The final is step is dignity, recognition, freedom and democracy. But the west just skip all this and tell them democracy cures all and you should fight and die for it.

4 hours ago, Vic Liu said:

What US and some its value sharing allies don’t understand is that in poor countries with poverty what people urgently need is not freedom or democracy. They may even never think about that. What they need is food and clean water. The next step is meat, shelter and land. The next next step is money, education and healthcare. The final is step is dignity, recognition, freedom and democracy. But the west just skip all this and tell them democracy cures all and you should fight and die for it.

Shouldn't education be a little sooner on that list? Your order seems definitely valid, but other than that, one would imagine a well-educated group of people would - in the long run - be better able to sustain itself than a group of people where a large majority lacks even basic education.

Of course in the short term, food, water and shelter are top priorities.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 2 weeks later...

Damn how fast people disappeared from here after the Olympics ended.  :dunno: I too had a post-Olympics fatigue for about 2-3 weeks, where i didn't want to or watched much sports, but now things are getting back to normal little by little. But things are really slow here. :d

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

Damn how fast people disappeared from here after the Olympics ended.  :dunno: I too had a post-Olympics fatigue for about 2-3 weeks, where i didn't want to or watched much sports, but now things are getting back to normal little by little. But things are really slow here. :d

Yeah, I was going to comment last week on how Totallympics felt a bit like a ghost town after the craziness that was the Olympics. I was hoping people would stay around and be active for at least the Paralympics as well, but there only seemed to mild interest in those on here. With both the Olympics and Paralympics now completed, it might be a slow few weeks as the build up the winter season begins. I’d like to be surprised though :d

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Like everyone else I have been either not watching so much sport, or watching non-Olympic sport, or trying to watch too much sport & having to watch on delay & fast forward.  There's the natural break coming up from mid-September to mid-November, so will be getting back into a normal sequence at about Levi slalom time.