website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

Earthquake near the Turkish coast, with already a worrying amount of reports of buildings collapsed in Izmir, flooding (from a tsunami) in towns around and heavy damage on some Greek islands as well.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

5 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Earthquake near the Turkish coast, with already a worrying amount of reports of buildings collapsed in Izmir, flooding (from a tsunami) in towns around and heavy damage on some Greek islands as well.

https://apnews.com/article/turkey-aegean-sea-earthquakes-istanbul-ebd99da6825d19391bfeb59f6e568aa1

31 minutes ago, dcro said:

Has anyone here played Mahjong? I have been wondering if it is a game worth learning. :p

Used to play it a long time ago.  Yeah, it’s fun.  You need four, though.  Don’t gamble, though. You can lose a lot of money quickly!

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Has anyone here played Mahjong? I have been wondering if it is a game worth learning. :p

once every while I play the solitary version available on the Microsoft Store for free...the basic entry level, of course...just to waste a few minutes while waiting for something to happen...

meanwhile, I've seen on the Japanese TV a few tournaments between pro players, but I don't really understand how they play it on tables of 4 people (actually, I didn't even try to understand, but that's another story)...:mumble:

4 hours ago, dcro said:

No, but Crazy Rich Asians did make me want to learn.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

7 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

I know the rules but seldom play it. Basically only when I visit relatives during Chinese new year to kill the time. 

I used to live in Asia & when you went round the teashops etc you’d see guys playing all day every day.

8 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

I used to live in Asia & when you went round the teashops etc you’d see guys playing all day every day.

Yes for people have plenty of leisure time. It's a good activity and gamble sometimes. But for me personally not into it very much.

17 minutes ago, Vic Liu said:

Yes for people have plenty of leisure time. It's a good activity and gamble sometimes. But for me personally not into it very much.

This one guy was the owner of the shop.....:rofl:...and probably about half the town, really.

Was actually a very rich guy, but dressed in very shabby clothes & just played all day.  Old school Hakka Chinese, not like today.  My father worked with his son & actually I was at school with one of his grandsons.