website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

31 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Nah, it's a matter of waiting for a while, saying 'and now things really have to change' and then get back to playing eventually. Without anything actually changing, sadly.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. And it will come down to money since owners will sue over all these guaranteed millions for sitting on the couch. That shit ain't gonna fly for long. Hell, it won't fly until next season whatsover IMO.

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

So NHL and NBA playoffs are both halted while waiting for a while? That gives some time to catch up on the games I have missed :p

NHL ? there no boycott there as far as i know...well, maybe Boston was "somehow silently" boycotting last night assuming their performance against Tampa 1-7 :lol:

5 hours ago, hckosice said:

NHL ? there no boycott there as far as i know...well, maybe Boston was "somehow silently" boycotting last night assuming their performance against Tampa 1-7 :lol:

NHL got hammered by commentators, black players, and fans for not joining the strike.

My guess is that they are desperately trying to save face.

In fairness, it wasn’t unknown that ice hockey is a predominantly white, bourgeois sport.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Monzanator said:

So much for that social equality then, huh? :p

I suppose you're not boycotting Amazon though? ;)

No, I still fight for equal rights for all people. I don’t feel like I ever made the claim that equal rights was a solved issue. I fight for what’s right, and you fight/stand up for, well...nothing.

I will admit towards using Amazon’s services. It’s a hypocritical choice. I’m in the morally wrong here. I have to pick and chose battles. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Of course NHL will get hammered. How dare they have an opinion different than the angry mob. I am actually supporting all sport being shut down indefinitely in America. The players will get their way of not playing and we wont be wasting our time hearing about them all the time. 

PS. You may be the first person i know, to say that ice hockey is a bourgeois sport :d

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

What if you are slightly upset (as in, not agreeing) with the athletes' latest protest/boycott/strike/refusals etc, but still are more upset about the reasons behind it? Is that ok? Or is it only acceptable to be completely upset with the reasons behind it and be entirely in favor of the athletes' protests?

Always with the complicated positions :p

Obviously, you can hold any position you want.  

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

No, I still fight for equal rights for all people. I don’t feel like I ever made the claim that equal rights was a solved issue. I fight for what’s right, and you fight/stand up for, well...nothing.

I will admit towards using Amazon’s services. It’s a hypocritical choice. I’m in the morally wrong here. I have to pick and chose battles. 

I fight against hypocrisy & double standards all the time.

If you allow Amazon earn all that money, what's the point of calling Bezos disgustingly rich? :dunno:  Your dollars are making him rich after all. Yours and like half of the modern world!

1 minute ago, Federer91 said:

Of course NHL will get hammered. How dare they have an opinion different than the angry mob. I am actually supporting all sport being shut down indefinitely in America. The players will get their way of not playing and we wont be wasting our time hearing about them all the time. 

Because of course we only support players when they are quiet about issues in their lives. How dare they be humans with needs, or people with emotions, or family members who want to protect their kids, spouses, and parents. It’s refreshing to know the “shut up and dribble” mentality is still alive and well.

5 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

PS. You may be the first person i know, to say that ice hockey is a bourgeois sport :d

Maybe not bourgeois, but it’s mostly a sport for upper and middle class white people. It’s an expensive sport. 

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

NHL got hammered by commentators, black players, and fans for not joining the strike.

My guess is that they are desperately trying to save face.

In fairness, it wasn’t unknown that ice hockey is a predominantly white, bourgeois sport.

NHL is only and only about money nowadays everyone knows that, NHL is not capable to even start discussing to make a fucking 2 weeks break during the Winter Olympics which are basically build for this sport as the main and most popular winter sport, so you can not be surprised Bettman and co. will not stop a single match because of politics or whatever...I believe Bettman will not stop a match even if a atomic bomb will explode in the city :p

Anyway, Hockey a bourgeois sport ? that one made my day :lol:

Because of course we only support players when they are quiet about issues in their lives. How dare they be humans with needs, or people with emotions, or family members who want to protect their kids, spouses, and parents. It’s refreshing to know the “shut up and dribble” mentality is still alive and well.

Ok, i'm just saying this, because there is UEL football and i'm watching 3 matches simultaneous :d

Have the police crossed the line on multiple situations. YES, there is no denying that. They should have handled the situations much, MUCH different. 

But, were those people not obeying their orders. YES. When the police tells you to do something you just do it. Especially american police, who are like real life movies, where shoot first, ask questions later is how they train them to react. I guess, i haven't been there, don't know how much danger they are in everyday. Should they react that way, no!

Not walk away, go to your car, trying to leave or grab a knife, like this guy in Wisconsin. You are not provoking the police in any country..

But the thing that really bugs me, is that there is this mass hysteria that comes out of USA, for the rest of the World to see, fueled by twitter, the media, the Hollywood celebrities and now the sports athletes, that there is this open season for killing black people. 

It's like all cops wake up in the morning and go out to kill black people for fun. It's like, if white people are not throwing themselves for the black people, they are major racists and white supremacist. This extreme thinking is what is destroying America in the last 5 years.  

If you are a black person, who is living a normal life, doing your thing, raising a family, being a good citizen, not committing crimes, obeying the law and not provoking the police, when there is some situation, they will not shoot you. Nothing bad will happen to you. 

If the athletes want to make a difference, they should preach to the black communities to obey the law and not commit crimes, not F the police, F Trump, take their guns and become lawless cities. The change has to happen on both sided, but boycotting sport games is bringing nothing. It's easy to jump on the twitter/TV bandwagon for a minute and then go your mansion and live your millionaire life. 

Also, people seem to forget, but BLM was born, because rich celebrity actors weren't handed Oscars for just being black. It had nothing to do with the regular person, or the cultural situation, or police attitude. They just wanted wanted to be handed free prizes and it translated now to many other areas, but that is another discussion. 

Maybe not bourgeois, but it’s mostly a sport for upper and middle class white people. It’s an expensive sport. 

Well duh, it is a white sport. Black people and snow/ice don't mesh. They are just not that into or comfortable with winter sports. Don't you know your sporting history. It has nothing to do with money and class.