website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 minute ago, Vic Liu said:

At the beginning I thought it was an accident of a firework factory, but it couldn't explain the massive explosion afterward. It's way too terrible like a nuclear bomb.

That was my immediate thought as well. Lebanon isn’t known to have any nuclear bombs though. Plus, the damage, while bad, would be much worse if that were a nuclear bomb. 

I’ve seen the explosion blamed on fireworks which seems plausible given what the area looked like pre-blast. If I had to guess, I would guess some chemicals that should never be mixed, got mixed.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

The only reason to even think about a nuclear device is the momentary shape of the cloud, it would be much bigger were it indeed that.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

The only reason to even think about a nuclear device is the momentary shape of the cloud, it would be much bigger were it indeed that.

Plus that cloud looked much more like a sonic shockwave.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

46 minutes ago, rybak said:

https://bit.ly/2DDArlJ     A few documented videos of the explosion in Beirut 

43 minutes ago, rybak said:

From those videos which I saw all looks serious and authentic, all media and news TV channels here now reporting about this and shows those videos.

Edit: According some people the explosion was heard even in eastern Cyprus.

I live in The Middle/Northern part of Israel and the explosions were heard clearly and strong 

4 minutes ago, Dnl said:

I live in The Middle/Northern part of Israel and the explosions were heard clearly and strong 

You heard it yourself?

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

That last one :(

Just now, Grassmarket said:

It’s going to be terrible for the Fire Brigade, there was clearly a long-established fire before the big square building exploded.  

Yep, reminds me of Enschede 2000 on a bigger scale.