website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

500kg, damn. Although I must say I am generally more impressed by weightlifters lifting huge weights over their heads than deadlifters lifting a weight a few centimeters above the ground. Which is insane with 500kg obviously, it just looks way less spectacular than someone pushing 200+kg straight over their head :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

16 minutes ago, dcro said:

@heywoodu Do you know if Belgians always write the "Van" part of a name with capital "V"?

I have stumbled onto several Belgian names with "Van" these days, and yet I seem to remember that Dutch always use "van". :mumble:

The Netherlands: 'van', 'de' etc in names are with a capital letter if it's the first mentioned letter of the name. For example, one might talk about Pieter van den Hoogenband or - for example in an item about him - just write 'Van den Hoogenband'. Not 'Pieter Van den/Den Hoogenband' and in the middle of a sentence or something also nog 'van den Hoogenband'.

Belgium: They always use the name exactly as it is written in the birth registry, no matter in which context it's used. Anthony Vanden Borre (including the weird non-existence of a space between 'van' and 'den') is never 'vanden Borre' or 'Anthony vanden Borre'. So not specifically always, it depends on how they wrote down the name when the person was born. Quite often though it is indeed with a capital V in there, which is something you'll never see in a (correctly spelled) Dutch name.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

The Netherlands: 'van', 'de' etc in names are with a capital letter if it's the first mentioned letter of the name. For example, one might talk about Pieter van den Hoogenband or - for example in an item about him - just write 'Van den Hoogenband'. Not 'Pieter Van den/Den Hoogenband' and in the middle of a sentence or something also nog 'van den Hoogenband'.

Belgium: They always use the name exactly as it is written in the birth registry, no matter in which context it's used. Anthony Vanden Borre (including the weird non-existence of a space between 'van' and 'den') is never 'vanden Borre' or 'Anthony vanden Borre'. So not specifically always, it depends on how they wrote down the name when the person was born. Quite often though it is indeed with a capital V in there, which is something you'll never see in a (correctly spelled) Dutch name.

And Indonesia as former Dutch colony follows the way 'van/de' are written in the Netherlands but I see an increase in some news how they ignorantly just capitalize each 'word'. School textbooks are still maintaining the Dutch style, but I am not so sure with the crappy government-printed textbooks. For those Dutch-descent Indonesian citizens, 'van/de' of their names will be capitalized too in their birth register like the famous cycling family of Van Aert.

23 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

And Indonesia as former Dutch colony follows the way 'van/de' are written in the Netherlands but I see an increase in some news how they ignorantly just capitalize each 'word'. School textbooks are still maintaining the Dutch style, but I am not so sure with the crappy government-printed textbooks. For those Dutch-descent Indonesian citizens, 'van/de' of their names will be capitalized too in their birth register like the famous cycling family of Van Aert.

Interesting example, since Wout van Aert is actually written 'Wout van Aert' (small v) in the correct way :p 

So:

I think Wout van Aert will win the sprint.

I think Van Aert will win the sprint.

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Interesting example, since Wout van Aert is actually written 'Wout van Aert' (small v) in the correct way :p 

So:

I think Wout van Aert will win the sprint.

I think Van Aert will win the sprint.

The funny thing here is that they adhere to the Dutch standard but not if he is an Indonesian citizen. Although a more respectable news outlet will keep the consistency regardless of nationality.

So we will see 'Wout van Aert is a Dutch athlete. Yesterday Van Aert won a gold medal', but also 'Bernard Benyamin Van Aert is an Indonesian cyclist.'

24 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

The funny thing here is that they adhere to the Dutch standard but not if he is an Indonesian citizen. Although a more respectable news outlet will keep the consistency regardless of nationality.

So we will see 'Wout van Aert is a Dutch athlete. Yesterday Van Aert won a gold medal', but also 'Bernard Benyamin Van Aert is an Indonesian cyclist.'

At least the name is right.... :p 

1 minute ago, Griff88 said:

Well, I'm not talking about the cyclist :p

#dodge

Yeah, I don't know about him, in fact I googled "what does wout means"

In Dutch, 'wout' is like the street language* version to talk about a police officer/cop :p 

*'old', Dutch street language that is, today's 'street language' is basically Moroccans yelling godknowswhat in between semi-regular words