website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

8 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

Man, I so love English sense of humor (or shall I say "humour"? ;)

Speaking of humour, we really need to record a podcast, and we already missed April Fools, so no fake topics :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

13 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Speaking of humour, we really need to record a podcast, and we already missed April Fools, so no fake topics :(

Or really any new sports topics for that matter, aside from cancelaltions / postponements. :p

#banbestmen

1 hour ago, dcro said:

Or really any new sports topics for that matter, aside from cancelaltions / postponements. :p

Retirements :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

I just learned that Costa Rica has no military while doing my Spanish homework. Instead they spend all that money on education and healthcare. What a novel concept :d

Worth noting that Costa Rica is a rare example of a successful democracy in Latin America. They might honestly be the longest peaceful nation in the Americas, but I’d have to fact check that.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 minute ago, Olympian1010 said:

I just learned that Costa Rica has no military while doing my Spanish homework. Instead they spend all that money on education and healthcare. What a novel concept :d

Worth noting that Costa Rica is a rare example of a successful democracy in Latin America. They might honestly be the longest peaceful nation in the Americas, but I’d have to fact check that.

Alright no death penalty, 12% of total land reserved as national parks, free education, and coffee for days; Fuck Canada, I’m moving to Costa Rica when Trump wins the next election :p

4 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

It sure helps Costa Rica has sided with USA for decades while most Latin America either had military juntas or communists in charge during that span. Costa Rica is what Turkey or Israel are to USA in Middle East. A safety buffer. It further helped that USA (or CIA) controlled the nearby Panama Canal for over 60 years :p

3 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

It sure helps Costa Rica has sided with USA for decades while most Latin America either had military juntas or communists in charge during that span. Costa Rica is what Turkey or Israel are to USA in Middle East. A safety buffer. It further helped that USA (or CIA) controlled the nearby Panama Canal for over 60 years :p

I think not having a military also plays down conflict. Plus, they have rates of education and literacy. They have a peaceful, well educated, economically sound population; that’s a recipe for success. Of course some of that is most likely only possible due to support from countries like the US.

I think not having a military also plays down conflict. Plus, they have rates of education and literacy. They have a peaceful, well educated, economically sound population; that’s a recipe for success. Of course some of that is most likely only possible due to support from countries like the US.

This is just a by-product of the geopolitics of Cold War. Both USA and USSR created satellite countries to spread their influence across the world. Costa Rica, Turkey and Israel are US satellites. Wars in Korea and Vietnam made sure nobody tried to invade the satellites without thinking better off it. Meanwhile Nicaragua was a mess and CIA failed there in miserable fashion with the Contras support :p

24 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

This is just a by-product of the geopolitics of Cold War. Both USA and USSR created satellite countries to spread their influence across the world. Costa Rica, Turkey and Israel are US satellites. Wars in Korea and Vietnam made sure nobody tried to invade the satellites without thinking better off it. Meanwhile Nicaragua was a mess and CIA failed there in miserable fashion with the Contras support :p

Well, we didn’t expect the Contras to trade their guns for drugs :p

Maybe, I think Costa Rica is somewhat of a unique standout, but who knows.

Well, we didn’t expect the Contras to trade their guns for drugs :p

Maybe, I think Costa Rica is somewhat of a unique standout, but who knows.

Satellites during Cold War weren't standouts, they were standard procedure. USA controlled Costa Rica & Panama Canal, tried to control Nicaragua but failed in their effort just like the Bay of Pigs invasion in Cuba. You win some, you lose some ;)

Of course USA also supported Duvalier in Haiti and that eventually became very problematic as well.