website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

3 minutes ago, Agger said:

North Korea? My experience tells me that Madagascar is the place to go in case of pandemy! :p 

The problem is Madagascar closed down all it's ports when that one guy on a market in Wuhan coughed twice.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

39 minutes ago, dcro said:

So now that we all basically relocated to North Korea, what will you be doing when the new working week starts tomorrow? :d

Schools are closed but we still have to be on our computers at 8am because our teachers will give us work to do, so it's basically a normal week for me except that we do everything at home (which is not a good thing because it's always harder for me to concentrate on my work at home)

1 hour ago, dcro said:

So now that we all basically relocated to North Korea, what will you be doing when the new working week starts tomorrow? :d

I'm going to use the time (of likely 5 weeks) to finally satisfy my nerdy needs by reading lots of things.

I also got some books in 2006 and I get to read them 14 years later. :p

On my list are:

- Hamlet's soliloquy, in fact The Tragedy of Hamlet itself

To be, or not to be, that is the question:

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer

The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune

Or, to take arms against a sea of troubles

And by opposing, end them? - to die - to sleep

- more about literature and theatre

- a book about keeping reptiles in terraria (this is from 2006, when it still said there were about 7,000 species in the squamata order (ilzards, snakes) and today we know more than 10,300 of them. Also about the order crocodilia. :d

- plants and trees

- sewers

- heraldry

- geology, minerals etc. is interesting too

- cooking

- whatever else I can find, I've got architecture, space, historic people and much more but I don't particularly care about subjects like politics or economy

Let's see I can do all of that, I might also end up listening to music and bang my head to it. :d

Edited by Quasit

Stopped watching sports, there are better things in life.

I’m already bored after 4-5 days :wacko: however, there’s a book I would like to read by De Giovanni, plus I’m studying my book of medicinal chemistry and there are a lot of synthesis mechanisms I should study. In addition, I should work on my French and English since I will be looking for language certifications after this has finished. 

Considering this, I firmly can tell you that I will be playing all time with Total War games:lol: ah, and maybe cooking

2 hours ago, AlFHg said:

I’m already bored after 4-5 days :wacko: however, there’s a book I would like to read by De Giovanni, plus I’m studying my book of medicinal chemistry and there are a lot of synthesis mechanisms I should study. In addition, I should work on my French and English since I will be looking for language certifications after this has finished. 

Considering this, I firmly can tell you that I will be playing all time with Total War games:lol: ah, and maybe cooking

Do you have some particular medicinal chemistry book or? :d 

8 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

Do you have some particular medicinal chemistry book or? :d 

Well, I bought this

An Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry https://www.amazon.it/dp/0198749694/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2URBEb09G3FGX

I don’t know how to define it. I mean, it is well written, but very basic, at least for the first 15 chapters! I would like a book more focused on the synthetic part

8 minutes ago, AlFHg said:

Well, I bought this

An Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry https://www.amazon.it/dp/0198749694/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2URBEb09G3FGX

I don’t know how to define it. I mean, it is well written, but very basic, at least for the first 15 chapters! I would like a book more focused on the synthetic part

Yeah, this one is good but quite basic. Well, there are many synthesis books and one way to go is - once you arrive to a certain compound or type of reactions used, you'll have to look up in synthesis databases and mechanistic schemes. I cannot recall a single book combining all of them. Maybe you can try to study synthesis along with medicinal chemistry if you are going to need it. And good start I can recommend is Strategy and Control https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Synthesis-Strategy-Paul-Wyatt/dp/0471929638

I bought recently Corey's The logic of chemical synthesis and while the book does not give out the mechanisms, it is a jewel of excellent source of synthetic pathways. 

That was a pretty quiet train ride, good to say most people stay home :cheer:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 hours ago, Wanderer said:

Yeah, this one is good but quite basic. Well, there are many synthesis books and one way to go is - once you arrive to a certain compound or type of reactions used, you'll have to look up in synthesis databases and mechanistic schemes. I cannot recall a single book combining all of them. Maybe you can try to study synthesis along with medicinal chemistry if you are going to need it. And good start I can recommend is Strategy and Control https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Synthesis-Strategy-Paul-Wyatt/dp/0471929638

I bought recently Corey's The logic of chemical synthesis and while the book does not give out the mechanisms, it is a jewel of excellent source of synthetic pathways. 

I have all the 4 books by Wyatt, I just need to find a mood for reading them :D I will give a look to the other one!