website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 hour ago, Monzanator said:

Denmark belongs to the rich north Europe, no chance anything will be done with the dolphins in Faroe Islands. Ecologists are paid off to look away :p

This needs a Greta How dare you moment, especially because such gruesome thing is occuring yearly in a neighboring country.

36 minutes ago, NearPup said:

I mean I remember Europeans clutching their pearls over seal hunting in Canada because it looks gory so...

Canada is responsible for the Atlantic cod population collapse and who cares about it these days? Nobody. Wealthy countries can always buy themselves a clear consciousness :p

6 hours ago, NearPup said:

I mean I remember Europeans clutching their pearls over seal hunting in Canada because it looks gory so...

Most Europeans are disgusted by this as well, and rightly so. But this kind of easy hunt-and-murder is fine as long as it's called tradition, so yeah, nothing to worry about it for them. They'll be able to happily slaughter more and more next year :) 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

First of all. That massive slaughtering was a huge mistake, even experienced whalers (including the foreman where it happened who wasn't a part of it) in the Faroe Islands say so. Way too many dolphins to way too few hunters. That one was certainly barbaric as they were struggling for way too long.

Second. Nothing's showing a general gain in this. Certainly this one catch will make 2021 numbers much higher than normal (more white-sided dolphins than the last 12 years together), but there is regulation to keep it at a level where it doesn't in any way endanger the animals.

Third. If grindadrap is to be disallowed we would need to see a ton of slaughterhouses and farms around the world shut down as well killing a lot of meat industries. If that's wanted, that's certainly okay and we should generally treat our animals better, but as long as billions around the world eat meat (myself included, though I try cutting it down a bit) we have animals treated poorly all around the world!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of how it's done, but I just don't see it (once again with that single situation as an exception) as worse than many others treating chicken, cows, pigs and other animals bred for eating.

The population of chicken, cows & pigs is waaaay bigger worldwide than the population of dolphins. I'm not surprised tough, if only some Eastern Bloc or Third World country or China did a similar thing the outrage would be enormous. But because it's done by one of the rich Western countries people will come up with a thousand of reasons why it has to be done and it shouldn't be stopped :p  Nothing to see here, get ready for more dolphins being killed next year!

Good to see 'evidence' that it's not just some urban myth or exaggerating thing when people say one can easily feel it as soon as one crosses the border into Belgium by car, the roads really go from excellent to bad in a matter of minutes when driving :lol: 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Good to see 'evidence' that it's not just some urban myth or exaggerating thing when people say one can easily feel it as soon as one crosses the border into Belgium by car, the roads really go from excellent to bad in a matter of minutes when driving :lol: 

Not sure how reliable those evidence are.... Nobody could convince me than UK's road system could be ranked as high as it is...

6 minutes ago, Bearas said:

Not sure how reliable those evidence are.... Nobody could convince me than UK's road system could be ranked as high as it is...

Just to clarify, it is about the quality of the road surface only, not about the general infrastructure, how well everything is connected and so on :p