website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

@hckosice What’s the tradition with those stones? I can see her placing one on the memorial, and it’s obvious others were placed there.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

15 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

@hckosice What’s the tradition with those stones? I can see her placing one on the memorial, and it’s obvious others were placed there.

No idea, sorry.

Statement from her social media account:

I honored the memory of the victims of the Holocaust by placing a stone at the memorial at the Jewish cemetery.

obrázok.png

but no idea, what is the tradition about. maybe @Dnl can explain it to us more ?

Thankfully, My family and I have been largely unaffected, but the devastation to my beautiful states (and our equally beautiful neighbors) is unimaginable. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

I know people will be upset about this, but our public health situation isn’t suitable to celebrating a holiday like this. I’ll just have to buy a big bag of candy for myself this year (at least now I can justify that purchase :p).

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

there's more than an explanation, but all of them are related to the spelling and the meaning of the word "even" (which means "stone", more or less)...

it could either be intended as a sign of the prosecution of life from the dead people to those still alive visiting his/her grave or a more complicated interpretation of the letters composing the word "even", meaning basically "I have just visited a defunct"...

another interpretation is that the stones are a memory of the historical Jerusalem's Temple...

this what I've been told, but more likely there could be some more versions, as it all comes from very old traditions...

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

We visited former Camp Amersfoort* last week, where in the woods there's the ruins/foundation of a former 'body house' - people who died due to disease, hunger and so on were thrown in there until some family or something picked them up or they were just dumped in a mass grave. It's mostly the foundations, with a few layers of bricks still standing, and on top of almost every single brick there were a few of these stones as well. Just placed on the bricks, this reminded me of that.

*not really a concentration camp, but a camp where people were gathered to be sent to Germany or - in case of resistance fighters - to be executed, it was known specifically for the brutal treatment by guards, more so than the German concentration/destruction camps

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Visited the south of the country yesterday and today, the city of Maastricht and some surroundings. So much history in Maastricht, I love seeing a basilica/church they started building around the year 1000...awesome to think a thousand years ago people were building what's still standing strong today. Impressive little walk inside as well, almost every item makes me wonder what history there is connected to it and which things it has 'seen'.

Also visited the Margraten cemetery, an American war cemetery with a little over 8000 graves. I've already seen the one in Colleville in France, which due to being right next to Normandy Beach has of course the most impressive view of all war cemeteries, but still it is incredibly impressive to walk around the thousands of crosses and graves.

I still want to visit a German war cemetery in the Netherlands, with more than double the number of dead buried there. It's not American though, so it's much less of a 'patriottic show', which makes it all the more intriguing for me to see.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

4 hours ago, hckosice said:

No idea, sorry.

Statement from her social media account:

I honored the memory of the victims of the Holocaust by placing a stone at the memorial at the Jewish cemetery.

obrázok.png

but no idea, what is the tradition about. maybe @Dnl can explain it to us more ?

Hey I got  explainations for this tredition.

It has few speculations about when it started and why but there is two commen explantion that are used today to explain 

1) it's meant to honor  the deceased, in order to show other that, the grave is being visited by someone, and that people are taking care of it, also that could draw somone to the gravestone and than he will read about the deceased and than he will be rememberd by somone.

also about that the choice of a stone instead of flowers is to give him somthing that common and yet last forever.

2)it is part of an older tredition of blocking caves and graves from animels so thay would not 

desecrate the honor of the dead.

there are few more explanations for this some related to ghost even, but mainly it's those first two to show respect and to take care.

anyway hope i helped and for any more Judaism questions im always here:yes

Oh man, Netflix are getting a lot of backlash now online. They released a show of little girls twerking and finding their sexuality it seems. Probably won't lead to any big subscriber loss, but it's a rare mistake for their image. They have been releasing major garbage these last 2-3 years, but this seems next level misfire.