website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

22 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

If you are a black person, who is living a normal life, doing your thing, raising a family, being a good citizen, not committing crimes, obeying the law and not provoking the police, when there is some situation, they will not shoot you. Nothing bad will happen to you. 

People have already forgotten that this guy was only “interacting” with the Police in the first place because he was beating up his girlfriend & she called the cops.  Would it be better if the Police just ignored such calls from Black areas?

31 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Well duh, it is a white sport. Black people and snow/ice don't mesh. They are just not that into or comfortable with winter sports. Don't you know your sporting history. It has nothing to do with money and class. 

I’ll address the rest of what you said in a moment, but this caught my attention. Black (and in general, non-white) participation has everything to do with money and class. Minority communities are often the poorest in most countries because historically policies have made it near impossible for them to rise above the poverty line. Their schools and clubs don’t earn the same support that white schools and clubs do. Winter sports are some, in not the most, expensive sports in the world. People who aren’t apart of the upper middle and upper class can’t even participate most of the time. Now, it’s not impossible to increase participation in winter sport universally, but geography, wealth, and class are definitely the biggest factors preventing access to winter sport.

Also, get out of here with that crap that “Black people and snow/ice don’t mesh.” Honestly, that’s a bit of a racist statement to make. Shuani Davis, Erin Jackson, Akwasi Frimpomg, Elena Myers-Taylor, Sabrina Simader, Philip Boit, Evander Kane, Dudley Stokes (and the rest of the Jamaica Bobsleigh Team) would politely disagree with you. This list would be longer if it weren’t for racism, money, and class. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

18 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also, get out of here with that crap that “Black people and snow/ice don’t mesh.” Honestly, that’s a bit of a racist statement to make. Shuani Davis, Erin Jackson, Akwasi Frimpomg, Elena Myers-Taylor, Sabrina Simader, Philip Boit, Evander Kane, Dudley Stokes (and the rest of the Jamaica Bobsleigh Team) would politely disagree with you. This list would be longer if it weren’t for racism, money, and class. 

Racism?  You’re saying some sports forbid blacks?  Can you be more specific?

45 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Have the police crossed the line on multiple situations. YES, there is no denying that. They should have handled the situations much, MUCH different. 

But, were those people not obeying their orders. YES. When the police tells you to do something you just do it. Especially american police, who are like real life movies, where shoot first, ask questions later is how they train them to react. I guess, i haven't been there, don't know how much danger they are in everyday. Should they react that way, no!

Disobeying order doesn’t give the police the right to commit summary executions though. American police are honestly more weaponized and harbor more extremist positions than our military. LAPD school resource officers have fucking grenade launchers. I’m not joking, some idiot allowed them to have a big enough budget to buy grenade launchers. School officers armed with grenade launchers. First off, we shouldn’t have police in schools, and they sure as hell shouldn’t have a need for fucking grenade launchers.

53 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Not walk away, go to your car, trying to leave or grab a knife, like this guy in Wisconsin. You are not provoking the police in any country..

The argument isn’t that this guy was completely innocent in all of this. The argument is that no one deserves to shot seven times in back when there are multiple police officers capable of over-powering them on the scene. From the video I saw, he could have easily been detained before opening the car door.

57 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

But the thing that really bugs me, is that there is this mass hysteria that comes out of USA, for the rest of the World to see, fueled by twitter, the media, the Hollywood celebrities and now the sports athletes, that there is this open season for killing black people. 

It's like all cops wake up in the morning and go out to kill black people for fun. It's like, if white people are not throwing themselves for the black people, they are major racists and white supremacist. This extreme thinking is what is destroying America in the last 5 years.  

Well duh, it is a white sport. Black people and snow/ice don't mesh. They are just not that into or comfortable with winter sports. Don't you know your sporting history. It has nothing to do with money and class. 

I mean we are witnessing summary executions, and police brutality aimed at people merely because of the color of their skin. Watch videos of how police have dealt with white nationalist protests. Watch videos about how they respond to anti-mask protest. Watch videos of white protestors being allowed to storm state capitol buildings. Watch videos of how they deal with climate change, women’s rights, pro-life/pro-choice, anti-gun/pro-gun matches. Compare that to response police have to BLM protests. 

I don’t think all cops wake up wanting to shot black people in the morning. I don’t think all cops are racist. I don’t think it’s an “open season on black people.” My problem is the unwillingness, failure of those so-called “good cops” to stop these bad cops. Do you know how many police officers have been caught as part of white nationalist organizations, how many cops have been allowed to get multiple strikes on their conduct record, how many cops have been let off the hook in the court using various legal loopholes, do you know how often police unions work against policies like body cameras, de-escalation training, sensitivity training? The number are appalling. I do believe there are good cops, but they have failed to “protect and serve” their communities by allowing bad cops to remain.

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

If you are a black person, who is living a normal life, doing your thing, raising a family, being a good citizen, not committing crimes, obeying the law and not provoking the police, when there is some situation, they will not shoot you. Nothing bad will happen to you. 

If the athletes want to make a difference, they should preach to the black communities to obey the law and not commit crimes, not F the police, F Trump, take their guns and become lawless cities. The change has to happen on both sided, but boycotting sport games is bringing nothing. It's easy to jump on the twitter/TV bandwagon for a minute and then go your mansion and live your millionaire life. 

Why should the onus to solve racism or “black issues” be solely on black people? Why should African Americans have to put in more effort to be a good citizen than a White American? This notion that black people are responsible for all the problems their communities face is ridiculous. Also, black people aren’t always safe in their daily life as multiple police brutality and racial violence incidents point out.  

Trump has failed miserably in his leadership role. He’s passed zero reform in policing, housing, healthcare, education, etc. that has benefited minorities (or really anyone not rich and white). He has played more rounds of golf, than he’s been to black communities during his presidency. He blames the left for violence, while he knows full well that his policies strengthened the far-right to dangerous levels. 

The police have railed against any possible reform. They want to protect their communities, but they don’t want any input from their communities on how they’d like to protected. Most of the people who support police reform aren’t pushing radical policies either. Most, advocates are asking for things like increase training requirements, more focus on non-lethal methods of detainment, and maybe not arming our school police with fucking grenade launchers.

”The change has to happen on both sides.” Gee, I wish African Americans would have spent the last century engaging in peaceful protest and inviting dialogue for all sides that aimed to curb these issues. I wish minority athletes would shut up about problems that affect them because it really bums me out while to trying to enjoy a sport event that I have the luxury of watching.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

12 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’ll address the rest of what you said in a moment, but this caught my attention. Black (and in general, non-white) participation has everything to do with money and class. Minority communities are often the poorest in most countries because historically policies have made it near impossible for them to rise above the poverty line. Their schools and clubs don’t earn the same support that white schools and clubs do. Winter sports are some, in not the most, expensive sports in the world. People who aren’t apart of the upper middle and upper class can’t even participate most of the time. Now, it’s not impossible to increase participation in winter sport universally, but geography, wealth, and class are definitely the biggest factors preventing access to winter sport.

Please stop. Can't you accept one thing, without insinuating stuff that have nothing to do with the subject...

Where did i say, there have never been black people in winter sports?

Shani Davis is one in 10 000, 20 000? If you line 10 000 black people and offer them all expenses paid to any sport they wish, how many will choose a winter sport? 5-10-20 out of 10 000... Will they choose to be a snowboarder, a curler, an ice hockey player, a skier? They don't like winter sports and that's it. If there were more Shani Davises, they can have their chance too. 

Also, about the participation in winter sports. I am sorry that the bad, rich, white europeans have taken all the spots. It just comes with tradition, interest and and a big fortune like you said. After all when they started in the 40s,50s,60s having a pair of 2 wooden skies was top class stuff. FYI There are big mountains in Asia, South America and Africa too. And i'm pretty sure they can build an ice rink. 

24 minutes ago, Grassmarket said:

Racism?  You’re saying some sports forbid blacks?  Can you be more specific?

Micro-aggression. We take away continental quotas. We make statements like “Black people and snow/ice don’t mix” to justify not making an effort to expand the sport to those communities. We don’t give minority communities the same resources. When minority athletes win they represent our country, when they lose they are ridiculed as a bunch of immigrants. IFs have weak policies for dealing with racially based abuse. We discourage minority participation by criticizing minority athletes for their different approach to a sport, or for their body type, or because their ragged equipment “ruins the image of the sport.”

1 hour ago, Federer91 said:

First you say this but in your following post you talk precisely about money and class... 

8 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Please stop. Can't you accept one thing, without insinuating stuff that have nothing to do with the subject...

Where did i say, there have never been black people in winter sports?

“Black people and snow/ice don’t mesh.” You didn’t explicitly state that black people haven’t practiced winter sports, but you did say that “black people and snow/ice don’t mesh.” when their is zero biological difference between the body of a white and the body of a black person. If black athletes don’t mesh well with winter sports, how come there are black athletes practicing winter sports?

11 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

If you line 10 000 black people and offer them all expenses paid to any sport they wish, how many will choose a winter sport? 5-10-20 out of 10 000... Will they choose to be a snowboarder, a curler, an ice hockey player, a skier? They don't like winter sports and that's it. If there were more Shani Davises, they can have their chance too. 

Also, about the participation in winter sports. I am sorry that the bad, rich, white europeans have taken all the spots. It just comes with tradition, interest and and a big fortune like you said. After all when they started in the 40s,50s,60s having a pair of 2 wooden skies was top class stuff. FYI There are big mountains in Asia, South America and Africa too. And i'm pretty sure they can build an ice rink. 

Well no duh. These sports have never made an attempt to be present in these communities, and many of those people would have never seen a successful athlete that looks like them in any of those sports.

You’re bottom statement does match my point. We should encourage countries, who can afford it, to build some ice facilities. European, North American, and East Asian countries should offer their help and expertise in introductory courses, coaching, facility maintenance, good equipment, etc. There should be more support for initiatives initiatives like the Brazilian Roller Ski Races, and SEA ice rinks, and African ice rinks/curling centers/ski slopes.

@Olympian1010 90% of annual malaria deaths happen in Africa and that's counted in millions and you want support for building ice rinks there? In what kind of a world do you live in? :dunno:  Africa hasn't solved its health & water supply issues and you talk about ice rinks. Africa need fresh water to drink not to waste it for ice rinks.

Man, you sure speak from a rich country's perspective that doesn't have a clue about poor countries' problems. 

8 minutes ago, LDOG said:

First you say this but in your following post you talk precisely about money and class... 

Because our american friend brought it up and said it's because of money that black people (or non-europeans) don't participate in winter sports. I think i made it clear, that my opinion is it's because of lack of interest and not money related. If there is interest in new countries, they would cope and find a way to build a following/ program / participation. They just choose to invest money in summer sports, which are more traditional.