website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

On 11/06/2020 at 16:50, Olympian1010 said:

Is everyone on this forum named Matthew, or a variation of that in their language? I’m really beginning to think so :p

Somewhat unrelated, but it's about my name, so why not share it? Tiago/Thiago is a variation of James. Harry Potter's father, James Potter, is known as Tiago Potter in Brazil. 

27 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

Somewhat unrelated, but it's about my name, so why not share it? Tiago/Thiago is a variation of James. Harry Potter's father, James Potter, is known as Tiago Potter in Brazil. 

Now that's something you don't expect :yikes:

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

52 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

This I didn't know.. So Santiago -> Saint James?

Myself and @Vojthas think it might be fun to have a Totallympics Discord. I think I brought this idea up a while ago, but I thought I’d develop the idea based off how we’ve used it for our media organization.

So besides have a place to talk during website blackouts or worse case scenarios of a forum ending crash; there are a few purposes it would be nice for. 

For one, people could chat to each in a more direct manner. There can also be multiple chat rooms so people can chat with each other about different things. Now, this isn’t really all that useful since we already have Totallympics, but it would be a way for people to communicate outside the forum, or in a quicker manner during major events.

One of the cool things about Discord is that it has an always running audio channel. So people can just get on and talk to each when ever they want, for as long as they want. Me and Vojthas really enjoyed this feature last night during the Virtual 24 Hrs of Le Mans. We we’re both watching the race, and it was fun to chat back and forth about it. I was 15 seconds ahead of Vojthas, but it wasn’t to big of a deal. I think it would be really fun for the community to get together and watch live events together (especially for those of us sometimes lack people to watch sports with). 

There can be multiple audio chat rooms as well, so their could different rooms for different events.

You also have the option to share your screen on PC. Now, me and Vojthas had some issues with the stream quality when he tried to cast his footage to me, but it would work better with other people. It again opens up some cool possibilities though. We could maybe have some community movie nights of something.

Overall, with all of the other features Discord has, I think it would be nice to have for the forum. We could think of it as more of a lean to, or hangout place.

What do you guys think? I could set up a private server just for registered members of Totallympics. It would just be a place to hang and chat more causally. We could also post reminders about community events in there. The server could be moderated to prevent issues. It would in no way be a replacement for Totallympics though (which is good because this place is awesome).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Myself and @Vojthas think it might be fun to have a Totallympics Discord. I think I brought this idea up a while ago, but I thought I’d develop the idea based off how we’ve used it for our media organization.

So besides have a place to talk during website blackouts or worse case scenarios of a forum ending crash; there are a few purposes it would be nice for. 

For one, people could chat to each in a more direct manner. There can also be multiple chat rooms so people can chat with each other about different things. Now, this isn’t really all that useful since we already have Totallympics, but it would be a way for people to communicate outside the forum, or in a quicker manner during major events.

One of the cool things about Discord is that it has an always running audio channel. So people can just get on and talk to each when ever they want, for as long as they want. Me and Vojthas really enjoyed this feature last night during the Virtual 24 Hrs of Le Mans. We we’re both watching the race, and it was fun to chat back and forth about it. I was 15 seconds ahead of Vojthas, but it wasn’t to big of a deal. I think it would be really fun for the community to get together and watch live events together (especially for those of us sometimes lack people to watch sports with). 

There can be multiple audio chat rooms as well, so their could different rooms for different events.

You also have the option to share your screen on PC. Now, me and Vojthas had some issues with the stream quality when he tried to cast his footage to me, but it would work better with other people. It again opens up some cool possibilities though. We could maybe have some community movie nights of something.

Overall, with all of the other features Discord has, I think it would be nice to have for the forum. We could think of it as more of a lean to, or hangout place.

What do you guys think? I could set up a private server just for registered members of Totallympics. It would just be a place to hang and chat more causally. We could also post reminders about community events in there. The server could be moderated to prevent issues. It would in no way be a replacement for Totallympics though (which is good because this place is awesome).

I like your idea of chatting with other members while watching events. If this happens I will join.

Just now, bmo said:

I like your idea of chatting with other members while watching events. If this happens I will join.

I think they would be more of the main purpose if I went ahead with this. It would be more a “hangout” to chat during events/community events.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

I think they would be more of the main purpose if I went ahead with this. It would be more a “hangout” to chat during events/community events.

That is the only thing I would maybe use it for, although I would be cautious: so far every single forum I've been on where people at some point decided to 'also use this or that' was dead within a very short timespan because 'also using this or that' quickly turned to 'pretty much only using this or that' :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

3 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

That is the only thing I would maybe use it for, although I would be cautious: so far every single forum I've been on where people at some point decided to 'also use this or that' was dead within a very short timespan because 'also using this or that' quickly turned to 'pretty much only using this or that' :p 

I could prevent that by locking text/audio channels when we’re not watching events as a community.