website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

46 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

A question for our Mexican friends (@mrv86 and others): does anybody here have access to the hemeroteca of the online newspaper El Porvenir, from Monterrey? Alternatively, those who study at Universidad Autónoma de Nuevo León (UANL) can also have free access to the archives. The website is located here: http://hemerotecaelporvenir.com.mx/

There are some results from the Pan American Gymnastics Championships that are only available through the archives of this newspaper. I asked UANL for a temporary pass, but they only allow access to students there. I also asked El Porvenir themselves for a free pass for 24 hours so I could just update Wikipedia, on the basis that I don't earn any money by updating Wikipedia and the hemeroteca would gain free publicity through citations there, but they ignored my e-mail. Bummer.

A few months ago, I would probably jump in and pay the asking price (around 47 dollars) for the 3-month access plan, but the strong devaluation of the Brazilian real is a major issue for me right now. 

No sorry, I'm not a former student of UANL nor a subscriber of the newspaper, and I think neither is @RiSeGwangFan

If they are officially referring to it as “internal affairs” shouldn’t Hong Kong lose it’s NOC like AHO?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

If they are officially referring to it as “internal affairs” shouldn’t Hong Kong lose it’s NOC like AHO?

No it will not. Because it gain the NOC during colony period and the border still exist. Most western countries are visa free to Hong Kong but not Mainland China. With the same reason, China proposes Macau to become NOC member, but Macau failed to get it during colony period, so it’s very hard after the hand-over. Basically Macau athletes are not capable to win any trials to represent PRC attending Olympics.

BTW China always claims Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan affairs are internal affairs, it's not a new saying. The only thing that may changes is USA will raise tax on Hong Kong goods as it "lose" autonomous status and claiming the sanction will help Hong Kong people.

Just finished eating a delicious bowl or olives @heywoodu

I think you really would have enjoyed them since you love olives so much.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

In much, much brighter news; I finished what may end up being my hardest semester of university today. Three years (hopefully) to go until I get my bachelors degree :d

20 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

In much, much brighter news; I finished what may end up being my hardest semester of university today. Three years (hopefully) to go until I get my bachelors degree :d

Will you finally accept that drink now? Alcoholic, soda, milk, juice, the choice is yours :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

13 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

Will you finally accept that drink now? Alcoholic, soda, milk, juice, the choice is yours :p 

I don’t remember being offered one, but sure. It won’t be alcohol though, I’m not legal drinking age yet. 

8 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I don’t remember being offered one, but sure. It won’t be alcohol though, I’m not legal drinking age yet. 

You are here :evil: 

I definitely offered to pour you a drink a week (maybe two) ago, but sadly you refused my offer. Like a knife in the feels.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!