website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

20 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I invite you and @Olympian1010 to try Indonesian style of over-patriotic support :evil:

Also @heywoodu complains about “USA! USA! USA!”, when all you could hear the entire 2018 Asian Games was “Indonesia! (little clap beat) Indonesia! (little clap beat) Indonesia! (little clap beat)”

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

They have a right to protect their brand those. It’s same situation with NASCAR after that driver used the n-word, the the Korean football league after a team filled seats with sex dolls. It generates poor publicly, and it can harm the public image. These actions have real damaging effects on institutions. That said, I believe (most) everyone deserves a second chance. I also think that issues like this should be handled on a case to case basis.

Right, so there's an award for athlete of the year, but when said athlete does something they find 'immoral' or whatever (not cheating, not going out and hurting other people), they're just gonna rebrand the whole thing? That is some weak shit.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also @heywoodu complains about “USA! USA! USA!”, when all you could hear the entire 2018 Asian Games was “Indonesia! (little clap beat) Indonesia! (little clap beat) Indonesia! (little clap beat)”

I absolutely remember being annoyed as fuck by that! Well, either that, or another monotonous chant of which I'm not sure whether or not it was Iranian :d (I think I remember to me it sounded like "Iraaaaan Iran....Iraaaaan Iran" times 50 million non-stop, but I could have misheard the word of course)

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Prostitution is a fair line of work though. However, I can see how brands might not want to be associated with someone in the sex industry.

You're kidding right?

You know basically hundreds of thousands of children are exploited in this "line of work"?

1 hour ago, heywoodu said:

Right, so there's an award for athlete of the year, but when said athlete does something they find 'immoral' or whatever (not cheating, not going out and hurting other people), they're just gonna rebrand the whole thing? That is some weak shit.

Sport is about role modelling. I haven't heard anyone talking about prostitution as the best job available for college athletes? :p

1 hour ago, mrv86 said:

You know basically hundreds of thousands of children are exploited in this "line of work"?

It's not the only branch where children are abused. Why don't we protest on cloth-making on the same basis?

In some way I need to agree with @Olympian1010 - it is a fair job. You don't expect anything but "the service" and they also don't offer anything more. Much more fair than a respectable gentlemen in smoking with suitcase in a hand called "bankers" or "politicians".

32 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

It's not the only branch where children are abused. Why don't we protest on cloth-making on the same basis?

In some way I need to agree with @Olympian1010 - it is a fair job. You don't expect anything but "the service" and they also don't offer anything more. Much more fair than a respectable gentlemen in smoking with suitcase in a hand called "bankers" or "politicians".

I'm against any form of human exploitation, especially children; but sexual exploitation is probably among the most vile acts a human can commit towards another.

But since nothing I post on a forum may change anyone point of view, I'll refrain myself for further comments

9 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

I'm against any form of human exploitation, especially children; but sexual exploitation is probably among the most vile acts a human can commit towards another.

I highly doubt anyone here is disagreeing with that, and with 'fair line of work' I think the main point was it's a fair line of work for people who actually choose to work in said line of work (I can hardly imagine, but they exist), of course not people who are forced into it.

My 2 cents, and meanwhile, @hckosice or someone could probably move this whole thing to the General thread right after the post about Klishina (which was still athletics-related) :d 

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

I absolutely remember being annoyed as fuck by that! Well, either that, or another monotonous chant of which I'm not sure whether or not it was Iranian :d (I think I remember to me it sounded like "Iraaaaan Iran....Iraaaaan Iran" times 50 million non-stop, but I could have misheard the word of course)

Definitely Iran. I remember them going batshit crash after the WR lift in Anaheim. I have a video of that somewhere...

There’s is “(three horn honks) Iran! (pronounced Ear-ron) multiple times in a row”

At least our fans cheer though. The Dutch fans always seem super quiet.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

"Let's go on a little creative journey. From basically trash, to....?"

Anyone having any idea what it's going to be?