website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

1 hour ago, MHSN said:

A 5.1 richter earthquake just hit near Tehran ! :( the last thing we need right now

I’d imagine that the buildings there aren’t exactly to the standard of what they are here in California. We laugh off anything under 6.0 around here.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

14 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

I’d imagine that the buildings there aren’t exactly to the standard of what they are here in California. We laugh off anything under 6.0 around here.

we definitely don't laugh at earthquakes. small or big. because we still remember two deadly recent earthquakes, Bam (2003) and Manjil/Roudbar (1990) . each of them killed around 30000 people. we always consider anything related to earthquakes very serious.

and yes the standard isn't that great, everybody knows that everybody is afraid of a possible earthquake in Tehran, and we know it will be a huge disaster, very populated with big buildings, and this one was serious and woke up so many people . we are told to be careful for next few hours (and if possible not sleep) because they don't know if that was the main one or the worse is yet to come. from what I see so many people are spending the night on the streets. even in my neighborhood half people are sleeping the night in their cars. interestingly I didn't feel anything ! even though I live in west of Tehran, the source was in east.

and for a reason, earthquakes here always happen in middle of the night, :(

7 hours ago, MHSN said:

we definitely don't laugh at earthquakes. small or big. because we still remember two deadly recent earthquakes, Bam (2003) and Manjil/Roudbar (1990) . each of them killed around 30000 people. we always consider anything related to earthquakes very serious.

and yes the standard isn't that great, everybody knows that everybody is afraid of a possible earthquake in Tehran, and we know it will be a huge disaster, very populated with big buildings, and this one was serious and woke up so many people . we are told to be careful for next few hours (and if possible not sleep) because they don't know if that was the main one or the worse is yet to come. from what I see so many people are spending the night on the streets. even in my neighborhood half people are sleeping the night in their cars. interestingly I didn't feel anything ! even though I live in west of Tehran, the source was in east.

and for a reason, earthquakes here always happen in middle of the night, :(

At least for now nothing worse hit, after the main one (that's been downgraded to 4.6) there was one more of 4.0 an hour later and then nothing. Hopefully that's indeed it, instead of those being foreshocks.

https://www.emsc-csem.org/Earthquake/world/M4/

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

8 minutes ago, heywoodu said:

At least for now nothing worse hit, after the main one (that's been downgraded to 4.6) there was one more of 4.0 an hour later and then nothing. Hopefully that's indeed it, instead of those being foreshocks.

Foreshocks are my worst nightmare after what we went through last summer. It was interesting way to finish day 2 (or was it 3) of Minsk 2019. I had to watch table tennis from under my table tennis table (I’m not joking, it was the weirdest coincidence).

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Yes, so far no "big deal" , but I have to say that scared the shit out of people mostly because of those previous experiences. we had 2 deaths and 23 injured but none of them because of the earthquake directly ! but we know people hurt themselves when  they are scared :facepalm: after something like 4 months at least for a day corona is not in top of the headlines ! :d

kind of interesting information since this is a sport forum, that 1990 earthquake was the worst in the modern history of Iran and killed +37000 but still it could be much much worse if it wasn't for a football match that kept so many people awake after the midnight and they could survive. 1990 World Cup match between Brazil and Costa Rica.

10th of May.

Three years ago I sent my accreditation request for EYOF 2017 in Győr - the biggest journalistic adventure of my life.

Two years ago it was just a few days after the website I was a co-founder and then editor-in-chief became a part of project, that made me sick of people I used to cooperate with for quite a few years.

A year ago I wanted to sell my soul to a devil, took part in a casting to a Polish TV, politically ruled by the government of traitors.

Now I'm quite nobody.

Welcome to life @Vojthas :(

I feel like you forgot to mention something significant that happened a year ago, and seems to have brightened your outlook a little, but I’ll let it slide :p

I was around this time that we really started to get serious about the foundation of Totallympics Media. Just a month ago I had peaked your interest when I suggested doing an international sport podcast. Fast forward one year, and we’re experienced podcast hosts, live bloggers during multiple multi-sports games, and the founders of a wonderful website.

We’re not officially to the one year anniversary of Totallympics Media, but I don’t see why we can’t celebrate a little early. I’ve said this before, but working with you was arguably the best opportunity I’ve had as a journalist. Everything’s a little dark right now, but we both know that there’s bigs things to come.

57 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

10th of May.

Three years ago I sent my accreditation request for EYOF 2017 in Győr - the biggest journalistic adventure of my life.

Two years ago it was just a few days after the website I was a co-founder and then editor-in-chief became a part of project, that made me sick of people I used to cooperate with for quite a few years.

A year ago I wanted to sell my soul to a devil, took part in a casting to a Polish TV, politically ruled by the government of traitors.

Now I'm quite nobody.

You are a valued member of this community for one thing and a very knowledgeable and capable sports commentator. You are not nobody and you are not somebody else either. You are making your own journey :)