website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

2 hours ago, heywoodu said:

For the drink question, wtf? :d On TV a shockingly high percentage of people (it's three 'celebrities' and 300 students) thought it was tequilla, some others went for C as well (probably the same people who pronounce the Dutch word for medal totally wrong), but it is of course A :p 

I knew the second one simply because I've heard of the term 'djinn' and because I sort of know (or at least have a picture of) what a fakir is, definitely a person, and I know a mufti is some Islamic whatever (authority/scholar/person/fill in the blank) but not an invisible creature or something :p 

Europe, Africa, Asia is the correct answer.

Carbon was easy I thought and I answered ant because I had no idea about both ant or lobster :d (I knew it wasn't spider)

Okay the drink question surprises me, and I live in a place where it’s extremely popular.

The continent question is fucking stupid. What counts as Asia, and what counts as Europe. It’s the same god damn continent, except that classic Europeans scholars were xenophobic, and thought they were the center of the world.

Lobster is pretty common in the US, so I can get a pretty good mental picture of one.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Tequila can be found in lyrics of a few songs - "Speedy Gonzalez" by Pat Boone, "Cancon de Mariachi" by Los Lobos or "Midnight Dancer" by Arabesque (even younger and prettier Sandra than during her solo career) - knowing, how it is said, I know, how it's written.

1 hour ago, Vojthas said:

Tequila can be found in lyrics of a few songs - "Speedy Gonzalez" by Pat Boone, "Cancon de Mariachi" by Los Lobos or "Midnight Dancer" by Arabesque (even younger and prettier Sandra than during her solo career) - knowing, how it is said, I know, how it's written.

It can also be found in the famous song “Tequila” by The Champs :p

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

10 hours ago, heywoodu said:

Same quiz was on TV again, some of the 50 questions for those interested :p 

1) What is the right way to spell the name of this drink?
A. Tequila
B. Tequilla
C. Tequilia

2) What is the name of a supernatural, invisible being, which according to some Islamic scholars can take possession of people?
A. Djinn
B. Fakir
C. Mufti

3) Sort these three continents in order, starting with the smallest and ending with the biggest:
Asia
Europe
Africa

4) What does a diamond consist of?
A. Quartz
B. Carbon
C. Sand

5) Which animal has at least 10 legs?
A. Lobster
B. Ant
C. Spider

How nice it is to still have quiz like this on TV

We barely have any quiz on TV nowadays and when they do the answers are frickin' obvious and people still choose the wrong answer :lol: Watching such quiz made people go dumber instead. I am glad the public TV channel revived their old quiz programs but sadly it is short-lived.

8 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

We barely have any quiz on TV nowadays and when they do the answers are frickin' obvious and people still choose the wrong answer :lol: Watching such quiz made people go dumber instead. I am glad the public TV channel revived their old quiz programs but sadly it is short-lived.

Quiz shows in the US are disappearing a bit too :( Of course the king of them all, Jeopardy, is still around and in it’s prime. I’ve been contemplating auditioning for the college tournament or regular show. There’s a few categories where I really get the questions, and others still where I don’t even understand the clue :p

Apparently the global oil market is going through a major crash right now. I don’t know what the consequences of this are, but I’d imagine this isn’t a good thing.

19 hours ago, LDOG said:

I think only someone that is not very familiar with latin languages or maybe someone who is italian could think that there could be an 'll' in that word after hearing it. 

Which might we why it's asked in a Dutch TV show :p A lot of people pronounce it in the way that suggests there is a double l.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

14 hours ago, Griff88 said:

And you can even play along with an app :d 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!