website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

In these times, it’s important to remember what brings us together. This is a true moment of solidarity heard around the country:

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 28/02/2020 at 05:01, Bohemia said:

French people stink? What the hell :lol: No, we take showers like everyone else.

The only French stereotype I know is that we refer to French people as “frogs”. I’m not quite sure why though?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 27/02/2020 at 23:42, heywoodu said:

Wait, "drink a lot of vodka" is a common stereotype for Sweden, Ukraine and Poland? :yikes: I've never in my life even heard those combinations :d 

Reveal hidden contents

Smoking weed? I guess a certain amount of people do, but only sometimes do I smell a weed smell or something. Sadly cigarettes are significantly more common, like probably in most places in the world.

Everyone in the US saw the Netherlands as the land of weed until Canada became the promised land last year.

7 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

The only French stereotype I know is that we refer to French people as “frogs”. I’m not quite sure why though?

Because "we" eat frogs (although it's not something common. I personally never ate frogs and I don't ever want to try :lol: same with snails)

My stereotype about French is that they don't learn any foreign languages. Stereotype confirmed by my Hungarian professor, who finished also French philology, and by one of the French I know personally (who speaks English but said that he's aware that most of his compatriots usually don't).

8 minutes ago, Vojthas said:

My stereotype about French is that they don't learn any foreign languages. Stereotype confirmed by my Hungarian professor, who finished also French philology, and by one of the French I know personally (who speaks English but said that he's aware that most of his compatriots usually don't).

We learn English from age 11 (well now it's even earlier) and 1 or 2 years later we can either learn Spanish or German (or another language but these are the most common ones), but even with all these years of practice the level is very low, our education system regarding foreign languages sucks.

I'm studying tourism right now, with students that are around 19 years old (I'm a few years older) so you'd expect them to have a good level in English but it's quite mediocre, even the teacher has a bad accent and I have to correct her sometimes because she makes mistakes...

57 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Everyone in the US saw the Netherlands as the land of weed 

Biggest surprise here would be that a majority of Americans even knows 'the Netherlands' (or even the incorrect 'Holland') is a country.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

17 minutes ago, Federer91 said:

Does it bother you if it's called Holland :d

I couldn't care less, it's just factually incorrect :p 

One of the main Dutch 'football songs' for the national team goes 'Hup Holland hup' ('Go Holland go', sort of), so yeah :p 

And the men's rowing eight is called the Holland Acht.

Edited by heywoodu

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!