website statistics

[OFF TOPIC] General Chat

heywoodu

and here it is the first school day 2019/20. The roads are full of kids with flowers attending schools and their parents blocking the roads...ahhh :p

It s the first school day in your countries too and are you supposed to buy flowers for your teacher as well when entering the school, because this one tradition I always found being really weird ?

prvy_den_v_skole_09.jpg

37-prvaci-04.jpg

Just now, hckosice said:

and here it is the first school day 2019/20. The roads are full of kids with flowers attending schools and their parents blocking the roads...ahhh :p

It s the first school day in your countries too and are you supposed to buy flowers for your teacher as well when entering the school, because this one tradition I always found being really weird ?

prvy_den_v_skole_09.jpg

37-prvaci-04.jpg

Nope, US went goes back to schools depending on what state you live in, what school district you are zoned for, and rather you attend private of public schools. Fun fact, there is no set national curriculum for schools. For instance Alabama could choose to not teach students about slavery and that would be perfectly legal. Also no one gives two shits about teachers in this country. In fact we have a shortage of teachers and public school funding. Our schools are in desperate need of repair, and many kids now attend school with bulletproof backpacks. It’s not a mystery why we rank in the mid 50s of worldwide education rankings. 

In terms of customs on the first day, General kids spend a lot of time dressing nicer than they usually would. There’s not really any traditions regarding a teacher. However, having attending private religious schools my entire life up until university, I can say that we always started the first day with a welcoming prayer, and a principal’s speech. Besides that nothing special really.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Also while we’re taking about schools. Did any other users have to where a “uniform” or certain dress to school?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

38 minutes ago, hckosice said:

prvy_den_v_skole_09.jpg

37-prvaci-04.jpg

No in India we don't get flowers or anything else. Some students may get chocolates but those are the good students. Most students are like why the hell did the holidays finish. In India school starts around June first week or end of May. 

50 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Considering how busy and annoyingly noisy the train was this morning, I think in my part of the country it is indeed the first day of school, but since I'm not in school, I don't really follow when the school ends and starts in which part of the country :p (it's split in three parts, which are sort of overlapping but not completely, to avoid too many traffic jams from people going on vacation :d )

I was out before the time on which children of lower ages would be cycling to school, so didn't really notice, but no, there's no specific tradition. Half of the children is going to school with a "fuck, vacation is over and life sucks" kind of mood, the other half is going all excited to share their vacation stories for a day and then get into the "is it weekend?!?!" mood just like any regular school day :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

43 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Also while we’re taking about schools. Did any other users have to where a “uniform” or certain dress to school?

Thank goodness that's not a thing here, no :p 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

55 minutes ago, hckosice said:

It's the first school day in your countries too and are you supposed to buy flowers for your teacher as well when entering the school, because this one tradition I always found being really weird ?

In our country, we don't do that. But, there is a current habit that is more bizarre... Parents nailed or taped their kids' schoolbags to book the front seats (because sitting at the back > can't see/listen clearly > stupid) at dawn of first day school... It used to be parents rushing their half-asleep kids at dawn to book a seat in class. this only happen in state-owned schools.

image.png

We usually gave flowers or presents to teachers at Teacher's Day (Nov 25), btw.