website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

https://swimswam.com/the-olympics-that-would-have-been-milak-soars-hosszu-defends-on-day-4/

They say Federica Pellegrini only 4th in 200 free. I don't agree.

But they say Benedetta Pilato storming to 3rd from lane 8 in 100 breaststroke. That would be something!

4 uur geleden, rafalgorka zei:

I hope after day 4 Poland will have its first medal at least - if not in judo, then in rowing.

But still no gold I'm afraid.

PS. I do like this discussion, but writing this makes me sad somehow ;-) what if...

Well, in the Women's Quadrupple Sculls Poland has a great chance to win. Germany and Netherlands aren't that good anymore. Biggest threat for Poland: China and Ukraïne. 

48 minut temu, CCB napisał:

Well, in the Women's Quadrupple Sculls Poland has a great chance to win. Germany and Netherlands aren't that good anymore. Biggest threat for Poland: China and Ukraïne. 

I think China will win this. Poland may end up with Silver. But we will see, I hope you are right. 

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

https://swimswam.com/the-olympics-that-would-have-been-milak-soars-hosszu-defends-on-day-4/

They say Federica Pellegrini only 4th in 200 free. I don't agree.

But they say Benedetta Pilato storming to 3rd from lane 8 in 100 breaststroke. That would be something!

I don't agree either...Federica is the miracle woman...I just can't imagine she's not gonna end her swimming career in style with an amazing performance (and the Gold medal, obviously) in her race...

about Pilato...we must say that last weekend she improved from 1.08.21 to 1.07.06 in her first minor meet ofthe year (the Puglia regional champs)...

it looks she's really going to adjust her swimming style to the 100m distance and we all expect her to storm close (if not below) the current Italian record held by Martina Carraro (1.06.36, the time she swam to win the bronze medal last year in Kwangju) at the next Settecolli meet in Rome (August 11th-13th)...

I'm still convinced in Tokyo a 1.05 low (if not below 1.05) would be required to medal at the Olympics and that this time isn't in her range yet, but if it happens...I'm gonna be the happiest man in the world...:d

What is everyone looking forward to on day 5?

I would be watching 3x3 Basketball finals, Baseball prelims, Cycling time trial, rowing finals, men’s team Sabre fencing, rugby finals, swimming finals, surfing finals & some table tennis and weightlifting as well. Very stacked day from my point of view.

6 minutes ago, bmo said:

I would be watching 3x3 Basketball finals, Baseball prelims, Cycling time trial, rowing finals, men’s team Sabre fencing, rugby finals, swimming finals, surfing finals & some table tennis and weightlifting as well. Very stacked day from my point of view.

Hoping that :FIJ can repeat in the 7s.  

Sadly :GBR will not be maintaining our record in the cycling TTs :nopompom: - all of our best riders go straight to the road now without serving time in the track squad, so the quality is not there anymore.  Rowing will be another disappointment for us. 

Looking forward to the time trials and a variety of swimming and rowing on day 5. Hoping Tom Dumoulin is fit enough for a time trial medal next year, and hoping for another dominant display by the women cyclists of course.

Judo is always interesting throughout the first week as well, though I never quite remember which Dutch judoka are in each weight class.

Day 5

Rowing finals - a chance for a medal for Poland in men's four - they won gold in wch 2019, but it will be much more difficult in the olympics. I wonder if we have more chances for gold in women's quadruples or men's four. If one of those could get gold, it would be awesome. We don't get many gold medals in the olympics, obviously, but we had golds in rowing in 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2016, so why not again?

Swimming finals - the best thing is women's 200 free, it should be a very open race with Pellegrini and others

Cycling road individual time trials

Men's rugby final

Volleyball - Poland vs Venezuela - theoretically it should be the easiest oponnent, but we must be careful - I still can't forget the match against Australia in London

Men's individual all-around in gymnastics - this is something I can't miss

And maybe 3x3 basketball finals, some tennis and beach volleyball

11 hours ago, bmo said:

time for the canonization of Federica "la divina"*, the true Queen of Swimming...what else? :lol:

and then, of course, a lot of Fencing (will finally someone be able to stop the mighty Koreans in the men's team sabre?), Rowing (men's Four above all)  and Judo...

plus something from the other finals of the day (Cycling, Weightlifting mainly) and from the preliminary rounds in the remaining disciplines, especially Slalom Canoeing, Sailing and Team sports...

*p.s. by the way, today is the 11th anniversary of her amazing race at the world championships in Rome, when she won gold with big margin and with a world record time (1.52.98) that's still unbeaten...

actually, her 200m free world record is the oldest among the 50m pool "classic" distances (only China's Liu Zige over 200m Fly has a world record set in the same year -2009- but a few months later and in an event a lot more obscure -the Chinese National Games)...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_swimming