website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

There is an interesting article in Polish press today. They say that there may be 2 weeks quarantine for all the sportsmen coming to Tokyo, because of this new virus spread found in GB first. That would mean that the cyclists who will participate in Tour de France will not be able to ride in Olympic road race. And Mathieu van der Poel may not ride in MTB, because his team got wild card for TDF. That would be a shame. I hope this is all not truth. At the end of article they wrote that the best solution would be moving the road cycling races from the begining of the Games to the final days, but I don't think it is possible. That would be massive change in schedule, cycling track events would have to be rescheduled too. We will see. 

4 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

There is an interesting article in Polish press today. They say that there may be 2 weeks quarantine for all the sportsmen coming to Tokyo, because of this new virus spread found in GB first. That would mean that the cyclists who will participate in Tour de France will not be able to ride in Olympic road race. And Mathieu van der Poel may not ride in MTB, because his team got wild card for TDF. That would be a shame. I hope this is all not truth. At the end of article they wrote that the best solution would be moving the road cycling races from the begining of the Games to the final days, but I don't think it is possible. That would be massive change in schedule, cycling track events would have to be rescheduled too. We will see. 

Mathieu van der Poel really wants to participate in the MTB Olympics rather than the Tour, but the question is what his sponsor wants. But first of all: Covid-infections in Japan are increasing rapidly, so at this moment I don't expect the Games will go on at all. 

2 hours ago, CCB said:

But first of all: Covid-infections in Japan are increasing rapidly, so at this moment I don't expect the Games will go on at all. 

I am afraid they will not go, either. 

What a shame with all this mess. This is early January, it is time for me and my colleagues at work to fill in our absence calendar. And i still don't know if i want to be off  duty in late July/ early August or not ? But what can we do? Sit and wait. And make our simulations and predictions. ?

1 hour ago, rafalgorka said:

I am afraid they will not go, either. 

What a shame with all this mess. This is early January, it is time for me and my colleagues at work to fill in our absence calendar. And i still don't know if i want to be off  duty in late July/ early August or not ? But what can we do? Sit and wait. And make our simulations and predictions. ?

Well, same 'problems' here. I need free time in summer anyway, so I think I will be off duty in late July/early August. For now I hope the vaccins do their job and everyone stays healthy. Unfortunately Japan only starts their vaccination program at the end of February.

At the same time I very much hope the Games will go on. But as we all know: hope is deferred disappointment ...

On 02/01/2021 at 08:32, rafalgorka said:

Wouldn't that mean all the tennis players who play at Wimbledon would not be able to compete in Tokyo? and all the golfers from the British Open?

4 hours ago, Dragon said:

Wouldn't that mean all the tennis players who play at Wimbledon would not be able to compete in Tokyo? and all the golfers from the British Open?

yes...

not to mention all the basketball players involved in the NBA Finals (if they go to game #7, they will end their club season on July 22nd)...

but also all the other athletes would have to face a 15-day period with limited chances to train properly just in the most important moment before their competition...

the other proposal by the IOC, coming to Japan less than 5 days before their respective competitions -and having the chance to enter Japan only if they are negative and if they got the covid-19 vaccine- and go home not later than 48 hours after the end of their Olympic event(s), is way more effective to save the Olympic competitions' technical quality, imho...