website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

7 minutes ago, Sindo said:

The user who opened the thread (so @rafalgorka if you are going to use this thread, or anybody else if you are going to open a new thread), can add questions to the first post of the thread. To do that, go on "edit" in the first post of the thread, then select "Poll" and you can add the questions (and possible choices) there ;)

March1.png

The only problem with doing this is that there are 300 some events to get people’s predictions on. I don’t want to clog up this thread with 300+ polls. 

14 minutes ago, bmo said:

The only problem with doing this is that there are 300 some events to get people’s predictions on. I don’t want to clog up this thread with 300+ polls. 

With 1 day per week it would be 16 weeks, so it would be around 4 months. I don't know how you guys want to organize this, I'm just saying. A poll here would surely attract more users than a google form, though.

The difficult part of having a poll where users choose gold, silver and bronze medallists (complete podium) is that the poll would have to have around 8-10 athletes/teams/nations for the gold medal then 8-10 for silver and 8-10 fro bronze. Of course some of the athletes/teams/nations would be the an option for every medal. 

I see some would like to have a projected medal table for Tokyo 2020. If that is the case then every event poll would have to have three "questions" each. So question number 1 would be, "Pick your gold medallist for X-event". Question number 2 would be "Pick your silver medallist for X-event" and bronze likewise. For athletics we would have a big ass amount of polls, questions and medal candidates. 

I think It would actually just be eaiser to create prediction templates for every event like in the prediction contest and then users can just show their predictions. A thread with prediction templates for Olympic events could be created in each Olympic sports thread. Users could then choose their medallists for each event.

Of course people could just write their predictions here or in a separate thread in the different Olympics sports thread. 

Also, a suggestion to @rafalgorka. Instead of giving 3, 2 and 1 point for gold, silver and bronze, the athlete/team/nation which gets most 1st places will be projected to win gold. The athlete/team/nation with most 2nd places gets silver and bronze likewise. 

An example of what I mean:

For archery mixed team it would look like this:

KOR           3rg 3fl 3gi 3be 3wu

NED           2rg

ITA             1rg 1gg 2gi

TPE            2fl 2wu

JPN            1fl 1be

CHN           1gi 2be 1wu

Gold - :KOR 

Silver - :TPE 

Bronze - :CHN or :ITA 

In case two or more athletes/teams/nations have an equal amount of 1st or 2nd or 3rd places, the amount of top 3 places will be the tie-breaker.

Example: Japan has two 3rd places. China and Italy both have two 3rd places and one 2nd place. Therefore China and Italy beat Japan in a tiebreaker. 

I don't know how to solve the tie-breaker between China and Italy as both team have the exact same amount of places? Maybe someone has a suggestion for such a case. 

5th August

Spoiler
Swimming - Women's Open Water 10km

:BRA Cunha

:ITA Bruni

:CHN Xi

Athletics - Women's 400m Hurdles

:USA Muhammad

:USA Little

:USA McLaughlin

Skateboard - Women's Park

:JPN Okamoto

:JPN Yosozumi

:GBR Brown

Sailing - Men's 470

:AUS Australia

:ESP Spain

:SWE Sweden

Sailing - Women's 470

:GBR Great Britain

:FRA France

:JPN Japan

Track Cycling - Men's Team Pursuit

:DEN Denmark

:GBR Great Britain

:ITA Italy

Wrestling - Men's GR -67kg

:CUB Borrero

:RUS Surkov

:GER Staebler

:SRB Nemes

Wrestling - Men's GR -87kg

:UKR Beleniuk

:KAZ Assakalov

:HUN Lorincz

:GER Kudla

Wrestling - Women's -62kg

:KGZ Tynibekova

:BUL Yusein

:USA Miracle

:JPN Kawai

Athletics - Women's 3000m Steeplechase

:KEN Chepkoech

:USA Coburn

:GER Krause

Athletics - Men's Hammer Throw

:POL Fajdek

:POL Nowiki

:HUN Halasz

Athletics - Men's 800m

:KEN Rotich

:BOT Amos

:USA Brazier

Athletics - Men's 200m

:USA Lyles

:CAN De Grasse

:GBR Gemili

Equestrian - Individual Jumping

:SUI Guerdat

:SWE Von Eckermann

:SUI Fuchs

Synchronized Swimming - Women's Duo

:RUS Russia

:CHN China

:UKR Ukraine

Weightlifting - Men's +109kg

:GEOTalakhadze

:ARM Aleksanyan

:BLR Ziazliulin

I suggest leaving this thread as it is and letting everyone who wishes to participate here post whatever they want.

Making any sort of contest, poll or something would "spoil" a part of the fun of the prediction contests next year. In particular those contests where you have to predict only medalists.

This week I start working almost as normal again, so I will have less time to continue this thread. Thank you all for nice conversation. Bmo have done good job to organize these polls. But I think LDOG suggestion is good, too. We will see how it goes. I will try to come back here in weekend.

Stay healthy!

I do agree with LDOG that those who want to make some early predictions can do it in this thread or in @bmo's prediciton poll. 

Next year we are hopefully going to have the Olympics and me and my prediction contest group will prepare a good amount of prediction contests to participate in for you all. 

Also let me know if anyone is interested in hosting some of the prediction contests, as me, Vojthas and Wanderer would like to actually have some time to watch some events from the Olympics live. 

We will probably present the different prediction contests (format and so on) around May or early June next year, or when it's confirmed that the Olympics will get the green light to go ahead. 

11 hours ago, bmo said:

I just finished making the day 1 predictions polls. Here is the link: https://forms.gle/qkXXbGggMHDDsHvT8

Let me know if you like this or want to stick with @rafalgorka points system. 

@Fly_like_a_don @Wumo @Gianlu33 

It was so nice of you to do so much work. Apparently the problem is now everyone is going to be damn busy as things are returning to normalcy .Even colleges and schools are opening so after few days we may have very less replies ....

Maybe we can all take break from this prediction and return like next year beginning or the spring season or as and when you wish.