website statistics

Tokyo 2020 Day after Day as it could have happened

Lemme imagine the games ended with this medal table and this results :

Me : These were a very boring games overall where most world champions retained their titles and position. There were no upsets:shame:

India won more medals than last 40 years (10 Olympics combined) :cheer:

ps : thanks to @rafalgorka who put so much effort into this. 

Serbia with nothing in the WP... no.

Table: Italy up (already argued it). Netherlands down a bit (this is even more than totallympics medal table and no, those numbers are already ridiculous). Turkey less golds, Ireland less medals. One or two more gold for Serbia and India.

(this is just my opinion)

9 minut temu, Fly_like_a_don napisał:

Lemme imagine the games ended with this medal table and this results :

Me : These were a very boring games overall where most world champions retained their titles and position. There were no upsets:shame:

India won more medals than last 40 years (10 Olympics combined) :cheer:

ps : thanks to @rafalgorka who put so much effort into this. 

Olympics are never boring ;-))))))

Thank you all for your comments, they were very interesting, I liked them all. Thank you!

I think we shall not finish this thread right now.

Let me rest a bit and we can come back to day one and probably change some of the predictions listening to your advices and comments.

Or we can add the predictions from all of you together - I have tried to do it with men's cycling road race before.

Or we can even write sth together for every event - David Wallechinsky style ;-)))).

And if you want to, we can also try a new thread - UEFA EURO 2020 day after day as it could have happened ;-)

Have a good day, my friends. And stay healthy!!!

4 minutes ago, rafalgorka said:

Olympics are never boring ;-))))))

Thank you all for your comments, they were very interesting, I liked them all. Thank you!

I think we shall not finish this thread right now.

Let me rest a bit and we can come back to day one and probably change some of the predictions listening to your advices and comments.

Or we can add the predictions from all of you together - I have tried to do it with men's cycling road race before.

Or we can even write sth together for every event - David Wallechinsky style ;-)))).

And if you want to, we can also try a new thread - UEFA EURO 2020 day after day as it could have happened ;-)

Have a good day, my friends. And stay healthy!!!

Maybe next year April for 2nd time prediction of Tokyo 2020 ....

Other events well why not but Euro is so unpredictable that one predicts a winner can be last place choice in group for the other. So it will be like huge suggestions to change.. Lol.. But yeah there is time for day. 

Have a nice day too!! Stay safe Stay healthy... 

I feel like you've based your Marathon results on the world championship in Doha 2019 instead of the global marathon majors (Berlin, London, NY, Dubai, etc). Kipchoge and Bekele should be favorites for gold and silver.

I do agree that the Dutch medal count can be toned down a little. But either way, really fun simulation! Thank you @rafalgorka

I enjoyed this thread Rafal. It's your predictions and I think you did an excellent job. From a NZ point of view 9 golds would be amazing but I don't think so, it's a bit much. But in the overall medals if all perform to potential and a lot of luck we should crack the 20 mark in overall medals. Also I think this will be a resurgent Australia this time round but it all depends on their swimmers if they bomb yet again they will be lucky to finish in the top 5. I have a feeling though that it could be a bit of a rivalry with GB and it could very well hurt GB a bit but we shall see.

12 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Spain won 2019 UEFA Under-21 champs, Argentina won 2020 COMMOBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament, Egypt won Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

This is the key to my predictions.

Plus I think Mo Salah will be spectaculiar, Egypt beating Germany in group stage, France in the quarters, narrowly losing to Argentina in semis, and beating Brazil for 3rd place ;-)))

PS. I was thinking - you will write France 2nd in Women's K4 500 - no way ;-)))

1) Ok ... so if Mali wins the next Africa Cup, you will predict that they reach the top 3 of the next world cup ... ?

All 4 european teams that qualified will 99 % field teams that will be clearly stronger than Egypt. Salah is a great player, but ...

a) One player like him isn't enough

b) Other nations could also nominate world-class players who are older than 23

2) How do you know the draw already?

3) France won't even make the semifinal despite having clearly the best talent pool of all teams?

4) I didn't say anything about womens canoeing sprint, because i don't follow women's canoeing sprint, so i have no idea who will be the medal contenders.

Edit: I just looked up the market values of the 3 most valuable egyptian U23 players.

1) Ramadan Sobhi (3.2 million) 2) Mostafa Mohamed (950 k) 3) Salah Mohsen (525 k)

For reference there are almost 90 french U23 players who have a market value of more than 3.2 million ...

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

11 hours ago, LDOG said:

Anything can happen in that football competition tbh, the squads could be anything. No prediction we make now matters because clubs can do whatever they want and not all teams will prepare with the same seriousness. I can easily see a properly prepared team like Japan beating a powerhouse with their B squad and one week of training together.

Btw Salah chance of playing is low with the afcon being next year.

Great insight ... so the predictions we make 1 week before the games will matter how?

Of course a lot can happen, but you can say the same about any sport. What if the NBA will boycott the games? Would the US still be favorites for gold?

By that logic we shouldn't make any predictions before the games.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

29 minut temu, Joshi napisał:

I enjoyed this thread Rafal. It's your predictions and I think you did an excellent job. From a NZ point of view 9 golds would be amazing but I don't think so, it's a bit much. But in the overall medals if all perform to potential and a lot of luck we should crack the 20 mark in overall medals. Also I think this will be a resurgent Australia this time round but it all depends on their swimmers if they bomb yet again they will be lucky to finish in the top 5. I have a feeling though that it could be a bit of a rivalry with GB and it could very well hurt GB a bit but we shall see.

Thank you, very much, Joshi.

I like NZ sportsmen very much. And Mahe Drysdale the most. Single sculls race was one of the best things in Rio. And he even found time to write to me all across the games on messenger, when I asked him a  few times. Such a great sportsman.

2 hours ago, rafalgorka said:

Day 16 Sunday

1. ATHLETICS – Men Marathon

1.         ETH    Birhanu Legese

2.         KEN    Lawrence Cherono

3.         MAR   El Mahjoub Dazza

1. BASKETBALL – Women
  1. UNITED STATES
  2. AUSTRALIA
  3. SPAIN
  4. BOXING – Women Light (57-60kg)
  1. BRA         Beatriz Ferreira
  2. FIN           Mira Potkonen
  3. USA         Rashida Ellis

KOR         Oh Yeon-Ji

1. BOXING – Women Middle (69-75kg)
  1. GBR         Lauren Price
  2. NED         Nouchka Fontijn
  3. MAR        Khadija El-Mardi

CHN         Li Qian

1. BOXING – Men Light (57-63kg)
  1. CUB         Andy Cruz
  2. USA         Keyshawn Davis
  3. UZB         Elnur Abduraimov

ARM        Hovhannes Bachkov

1. BOXING – Men Super Heavy (+91kg)
  1. UZB         Bakhodir Jalolov
  2. AUS         Justis Huni
  3. KAZ         Kamshybek Kunkabayev

GER         Nelvie Tiafack

1. CYCLING TRACK – Women Sprint
  1. GER         Emma Hinze
  2. HKG         Lee Wai Sze
  3. RUS          Anastasia Voynova
  4. CYCLING TRACK – Men Keirin
  1. NED         Harrie Levreysen
  2. MAS         Azizulhasni Awang
  3. JPN           Yuta Wakimoto
  4. CYCLING TRACK – Women Omnium
  1. JPN           Yumi Kahijara
  2. USA         Jennifer Valente
  3. ITA           Letizia Paternoster
  4. HANDBALL – Women
  1. NETHERLANDS
  2. SPAIN
  3. FRANCE
  4. RHYTMIC GYMNASTICS – Women Group
  1. RUSSIA
  2. BULGARIA
  3. JAPAN
  4. VOLLEYBALL – Women
  1. CHINA
  2. SERBIA
  3. UNITED STATES
  4. WATER POLO – Men
  1. ITALY
  2. HUNGARY
  3. SPAIN

Sadly i think that Wild win at least medal in women's omnium.