website statistics

Athletes who are not good enough in 2020, but will shine in 2021

3 hours ago, EselTheDonkey said:

Hopefully Bo Kanda Lita Baehre (German Pole Vaulter). He finished 4th at the WC in Doha but far behind the top three. Today he cleared 5,81 metres in Leverkusen. This probably wouldn't be good enough for a medal, but he still has a year to go.

Would be great, but I think at least Duplantis, Kendricks and Lisek are more likely to medal. Maybe also Braz and Morgunov (although he "disappeared" after his great 2018 season). Guttormsen might also surprise next year. Not sure what Baehre's potential is long term, he seems kind of heavy for a pole vaulter.

Attachment is the great fabricator of illusions; reality can be obtained only by someone who is detached.

• 5 months later...
On 29/06/2020 at 13:41, OlympicsFan said:

One athlete who might surprise a lot of people next year:

Femke Bol (women‘s 400 m hurdles)

Also: Elina Tzengko and Haruka Kitaguchi in women‘s javelin throw

I agree about Elina Tzengko and would like to add our women's rowing team of Christina Bourmpou and Maria Kyridou in the women's pair  :GRE

They have achieved amazing results together over the past few years.

2018 (as 17 year olds)

GOLD at European Junior Championships

GOLD at World Junior Championships

GOLD at European U23 Championships

GOLD at Youth Olympics

4th at World U23 Championships

2019 (as 18 year olds)

GOLD at World U23 Championships

GOLD at European U23 Championships

5th at European Championships

11th at World Championships

2020 (as 19 year olds)

SILVER at European U23 Championships

BRONZE at European Championships

They have already qualified for Tokyo and will be 20 years old there (they were both 18 when they earned qualification). They are very young for rowing, but they keep improving every year. If we had World Championships in 2020, I think they would've finished somewhere between 6th and 8th or so. A medal in Tokyo might be too tough for them, but I think they have a very good chance to reach Final A, and from there anything can happen.

• 5 months later...

:USA   Torri Huske, 100 m butterfly definately fits this.  Most don't think she would have come close to qualifying last year, now this year after USA trials, she is within .18 of Sarah Sjostrom's WR.