website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

14 minutes ago, bmo said:

I don’t think a correct decision can be made until at least May.

I agree, but they need to have more than 1 plan in place, even if they refuse to discuss that publicly.  All the reporting I'm reading makes it sound like they're not even bringing it up.

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

I agree, but they need to have more than 1 plan in place, even if they refuse to discuss that publicly.  All the reporting I'm reading makes it sound like they're not even bringing it up.

I agree, options have to be brought up now. The final decision has to be made in May.

Just now, bmo said:

I agree, options have to be brought up now. The final decision has to be made in May.

Yes.  Everyone screaming "just cancel it now" need to pipe down.  Let the IOC do their due diligence here, because what they can't do - and I saw someone suggest this - is to say "the Olympics are postponed to an unknown later date."  That's not an option.

Either in September or October 2020 or in summer 2021. Of course all depending on the situation. But even if the situation gets a lot better in spring (which I don't believe) it would be highly irresponsible to have a big event with 10.000 athletes and probably a similar or even bigger number of coaches and officials all in the same place. Even without spectators this would be madness. I don't even think having the Games take place in October is all that likely.

2 hours ago, Wumo said:

Why cancel it if it can't be held in 2020?

I'm asking out of curiosity and to hear a different opinion than one's own. 

It would screw up 2021 sports calendar. 2022 would be even worse because would screw up 2021, 2022 and also 2023 sports calendars.

Athletes who would be at the peak of their careers this year could not be in their peak anymore in 2021/2022. In sports like Swimming you could have an athlete who in 2022 wins 3 golds, the same athlete if the Olympics were this year as planned would not have even competed because too young.

We would have an Olympic quadriennium with two Olympic Games in the same quadriennium. Qualifications would be screwed up for Tokyo and (if it will be Tokyo 2022) I fear also for Paris 2024 Olympic Games qualifications would have to change.

47 minutes ago, Sindo said:

It would screw up 2021 sports calendar. 2022 would be even worse because would screw up 2021, 2022 and also 2023 sports calendars.

Athletes who would be at the peak of their careers this year could not be in their peak anymore in 2021/2022. In sports like Swimming you could have an athlete who in 2022 wins 3 golds, the same athlete if the Olympics were this year as planned would not have even competed because too young.

We would have an Olympic quadriennium with two Olympic Games in the same quadriennium. Qualifications would be screwed up for Tokyo and (if it will be Tokyo 2022) I fear also for Paris 2024 Olympic Games qualifications would have to change.

It wouldn’t mess up 2022 terribly though, which is why I’m even considering a postponement. I will say the your argument makes multiple good points though, and I’ll have to think on it.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

People are losing their mind over the whole qualification system like I don't know what? Hell, every fed uses their rankings and it's all fine. It's not like March or April is a MUST deadline for qualifying. You could have taken care of that, like sooner?

Japan has two months to get the official word out. Save the drama for late May when we should have a much better picture what's going on. Right now it's all drama & click-baiting.

hace 1 hora, Sindo dijo:

I'm sure that 90% of olympic sport international federations would sacrifice whatever calendar they have planned for 2021 in order to have their olympic event contested. Too many of them have total dependence on olympic-related revenue. 

As for the peak of athletes, it is what it is. There have always been athletes that peaked in the middle of an olympic cycle and didn't do anything in OG. It's luck and it's the law of sport.

Qualifications, like Monzanator said, can always be simplified. It's not a big problem.