website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

10 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

There's 25 multi-sports games in 2021?  Seriously?  That's actually a thing?

Yep. 

Edited by Olympian1010

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

This is really why I was pulling for 2022. There was more room in my ideal international sports schedule, but I need to remember to “always look on the bright side life!” (dodo, dodo, dodo, dodo :p), and remember that I can’t control the uncontrollable in life. I’m still feeling pretty gloomy though. Hopefully my usual upbeat attitude returns soon :)

Surely you don't expect them to cater to your extremely unique preferenes...?

Nobody gives a damn about 2021 regional games or whatnot.

#banbestmen

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Yep. 

Especially the U15 World School Games will be hit hard by this.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

Surely the number of viewers of the Olympic Games are higher than all 2021 multi-sport games together. But organizers of each of these small multi-sport games will be hit by a postponement/cancellation of the event. They will survive, but it's not like they will not care about that, especially for events with dates set years ago. Even the smallest multi-sport events requires organization.

20 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Surely the number of viewers of the Olympic Games are higher than all 2021 multi-sport games together. But organizers of each of these small multi-sport games will be hit by a postponement/cancellation of the event. They will survive, but it's not like they will not care about that, especially for events with dates set years ago. Even the smallest multi-sport events requires organization.

Of course the organization of those smaller events care about it, maybe some local people who are somehow involved as well. But on the general stage, probably not even 0,1% of the people who are interested in the Olympics even know of the existence of obscure things like Lusophone of Francophone Games.

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

à l’instant, heywoodu a dit :

Of course the organization of those smaller events care about it, maybe some local people who are somehow involved as well. But on the general stage, probably not even 0,1% of the people who are interested in the Olympics even know of the existence of obscure things like Lusophone of Francophone Games.

Je suis choqué

il y a 39 minutes, thiago_simoes a dit :

The IOC cannot postpone the Olympics! What will happen to all the copies of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 that will look outdated now?

Masquer le contenu

Resultado de imagem para Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 cover

Sorry, just a bad joke to lighten things up. :p

They will sell the exact same game at full price next year and called Tokyo 2021. Nintendo :cool:

3 hours ago, Maxim Fastovsky said:

I wonder where eugene2021 moves.  I was planning to go there for the whole week

if the Olympics go to 2021 and the NBC agrees, it's surely Eugene 2022 (R.I.P. European and other Continental champs)...

8 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

I wonder what happens to the international sports calendar next year. At this point, I’m only interested in the dates. Personally, I’d prefer October to avoid all the other events, but I know I’m the only who cares about most of the other events that will suffer because of this. I love the Olympics like you guys, but it’s the multi-sports games I really enjoy. So while individual sports move their events, and y’all get a win/win; I end up with a lose/lose :(

I’m a little upset (maybe frustrated is a better word), but that’s life. I was really looking forward to 2021 and it’s 25 multi-sports games, but now I’ll probably have to settle for two years in a row of 1 multi-sport game. Plus, even if all the other games aren’t cancelled, they’ll have the weakest fields in history if their not postponed :(

This is really why I was pulling for 2022. There was more room in my ideal international sports schedule, but I need to remember to “always look on the bright side life!” (dodo, dodo, dodo, dodo :p), and remember that I can’t control the uncontrollable in life. I’m still feeling pretty gloomy though. Hopefully my usual upbeat attitude returns soon :)

well, I don't think many of those multi-sport Games would ever be affected by the Olympics being held in the same year...

World Games are about non-Olympic disciplines (Sport Climbing and Karate being the only exception, with Karate not always sending their truly best representatives to the World Games because of weird selection system)...

the other regional games only feature 2nd/3rd (and lower) tier athletes, who normally are not good enough to make the Olympic cut of the modern days...

not to mention Youth Games, which don't involve Olympic athletes in any case (not even in sports like Gymnastics)...

so, don't worry...you're gonna have a lot of fun without losing that much...

in case the OG move to 2021, the only true big losers would be  the European Champs in Swimming, Athletics and some Team Sports, which obviously would see their starting lineup lower both the top and average quality...