website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

2 minutes ago, ofan said:

And Canada is the first domino to fall. I expect others will follow suit in the coming days, and the IOC will have no choice to postpone. Silver lining is that the IOC is yet again being exposed as the cowardly, corrupt bastards that they are. 

Can't blame IOC for being greedy. Olympics happens every two years, they have to cash in during that very small window. It's not soccer with gazillion games and competitions every month. Pro sports is money and all about the money. Pro sports is not about heath. Then again, IOC survived boycotted Games and the 1972 hostage crisis so Tokyo delay won't hurt them as much on the long run IMO.

4 minutes ago, ofan said:

And Canada is the first domino to fall. I expect others will follow suit in the coming days, and the IOC will have no choice to postpone. Silver lining is that the IOC is yet again being exposed as the cowardly, corrupt bastards that they are. 

Cowardly, yes.  Corrupt?  Not necessarily because of this.

Bach hasn't done the best job of expressing to the world the intentions of the IOC.  I think everyone involved knows that postponement is inevitable, but it takes time to get everyone on board to make sure that's followed through properly for all interested parties.  With all due respect to Canada, they're one nation out of 200+ (I will say the exact same thing about the United States who has also been chirping).  I think the back breaker was Seb Coe.  When he's saying to move to postpone the Olympics as head of the most prominent sports federation involved in the Games, that carries a lot of weight.

6 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

Can't blame IOC for being greedy. Olympics happens every two years, they have to cash in during that very small window. It's not soccer with gazillion games and competitions every month. Pro sports is money and all about the money. Pro sports is not about heath. Then again, IOC survived boycotted Games and the 1972 hostage crisis so Tokyo delay won't hurt them as much on the long run IMO.

It'll probably hurt Japan more than it hurts the IOC.  Might hurt China as well, but somehow, I think they'll figure out a way to survive

1 minute ago, Quaker2001 said:

It'll probably hurt Japan more than it hurts the IOC.  Might hurt China as well, but somehow, I think they'll figure out a way to survive

China won't be hurt by this at all. They could actually gain from all of this as Trump's trade war has very much died in wake of the virus. If everyone loses money globally then China will bounce back the most (plus Russia who always profits from the Western world losing money).

All the wealthy anglophone countries will surely pull out this week. A bit because it's the logical thing to do, of course, but also a bit because they would never miss an opportunity to show off their leverage against the big international sport organizations (IOC, FIFA, etc) :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, Quaker2001 said:

Cowardly, yes.  Corrupt?  Not necessarily because of this.

Bach hasn't done the best job of expressing to the world the intentions of the IOC.  I think everyone involved knows that postponement is inevitable, but it takes time to get everyone on board to make sure that's followed through properly for all interested parties.  With all due respect to Canada, they're one nation out of 200+ (I will say the exact same thing about the United States who has also been chirping).  I think the back breaker was Seb Coe.  When he's saying to move to postpone the Olympics as head of the most prominent sports federation involved in the Games, that carries a lot of weight.

Not to mention NBC may carry more weight than most. I know you're well versed in the subject and likely have some thoughts on what they're going through atm. 

4 minutes ago, ofan said:

Not to mention NBC may carry more weight than most. I know you're well versed in the subject and likely have some thoughts on what they're going through atm. 

I'd say the potential cancellation of the NFL season will hit NBC harder than the Olympic delay.

5 minutes ago, ofan said:

I said it upthread.. I don't think NBC has much influence over this decision.  They're hurting just like everyone, but right now, this is in the IOC's and the OCOG's hands.  Japan wants to put on the best Olympics they can.  NBC's rights fees are already locked in.  Will certainly be tougher for them to sell advertising in a weaker economy (same thing happened in the lead-up to Vancouver 2010), but little they can do about that

2 minutes ago, Monzanator said:

I'd say the potential cancellation of the NFL season will hit NBC harder than the Olympic delay.

Well, that hits every network.  The NFL is in a real bad spot because they just signed off on a new collective bargaining agreement which was supposed to pave the way for massive increase in television rights fees.  That's going to be a much tougher negotiation now with the economy in shambles.