website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

36 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

I think we should just concede and held an E-Sport tournament of Mario and Sonic at Tokyo 2020

Why not the actual official game that at least features avatars that are human?

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

until few days ago I was against any change in the schedule but now I think this is impossible to have the games this summer . this is just starting in some other countries and coronavirus problem won't be solved before July. it's not only about Japan but 200 other countries and more than 20000 people traveling to Japan for the Games.

and I think IOC has to postpone it as soon as possible. because some athletes are risking their health training in these situation. in some countries there is no place to train properly these days. yes for some football or tennis players Olympic doesn't matter much, they can boycott it but for most amateur athletes Olympic is everything and they will participate no matter what

2 hours ago, Monzanator said:

People are losing their mind over the whole qualification system like I don't know what? Hell, every fed uses their rankings and it's all fine. It's not like March or April is a MUST deadline for qualifying. You could have taken care of that, like sooner?

Japan has two months to get the official word out. Save the drama for late May when we should have a much better picture what's going on. Right now it's all drama & click-baiting.

Federations should suffer actually. Though some athletes are unlucky . I believe 75-80% quotas should be distributed by December or January so that most athletes get 6 months training minimum. February to May is the time for only world qualifiers . For team sports even world qualifiers should end by Jan or Feb. Happy that ISSF and FIH did well. Just ranking and few  European quotas left in Shooting which can well go with ranking. 

2 hours ago, LDOG said:

I'm sure that 90% of olympic sport international federations would sacrifice whatever calendar they have planned for 2021 in order to have their olympic event contested. Too many of them have total dependence on olympic-related revenue. 

As for the peak of athletes, it is what it is. There have always been athletes that peaked in the middle of an olympic cycle and didn't do anything in OG. It's luck and it's the law of sport.

Qualifications, like Monzanator said, can always be simplified. It's not a big problem.

Agreed.  Priority number 1 is the safety of everyone who will be in Tokyo during the Olympics (and by extension, anyone they come in contact with when they return home).  Very secondary is qualifying and how this affects the calendar.  A lot of accommodations are being made and will be made for events moving around.  If having the Olympics in 2021 instead of 2020 means the IAAF has to move the World Championships, that should be the least of the considerations

Postpone.... I think planning for 2021 a little late September..... Most of the postponed qualifiers can be completed in 2 months..... We lost two Olympics due to ww2..... So one being postponed by a year is not the biggest loss for Olympic sport

Edited by nitinsanker

strength does not come from physical capacity but from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

1 minute ago, 郝劲秋 said:

The health and safety of athletes should always be given top priority. As long as there are areas where the epidemic has not been resolved, it is not suitable for hosting the Olympic Games. Once infected, it may ruin the entire career.

Agreed totally.

11 hours ago, Sindo said:

It would screw up 2021 sports calendar. 2022 would be even worse because would screw up 2021, 2022 and also 2023 sports calendars.

Athletes who would be at the peak of their careers this year could not be in their peak anymore in 2021/2022. In sports like Swimming you could have an athlete who in 2022 wins 3 golds, the same athlete if the Olympics were this year as planned would not have even competed because too young.

We would have an Olympic quadriennium with two Olympic Games in the same quadriennium. Qualifications would be screwed up for Tokyo and (if it will be Tokyo 2022) I fear also for Paris 2024 Olympic Games qualifications would have to change.

It's not like we don't have a precedent for this, we had 2 winter games in two years in the 90s for different reasons. Having 2 games in 3 years is acceptable in my book, the time gap is still relatively large between the two events. As for next year's summer calendar, events like the Aquatics WCh and Athletics WCh should postpone to 2022, and we would have these WChs in 2022 and 2023. I think it wouldn't be that big of a deal for IAAF and FINA to have their biggest events "annually" for this short period of time, specially if they make this decision really early, this year, after SOG gets postponed to 2021.