website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

2 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I guess this article fits in this thread.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092141/athletes-take-ioc-to-task-coronavirus

I'm curious to know how you on the forum think IOC should act, in your opinion, to a situation like this? 

Seriously, How even waste debate about this. This must be postponed (at least for September with paralympics starting just a week after) if the situation will not be solved around july (which, sorry but I really doubt it will) then immediatelly postpone it to the next year. Everyone must start to take current situation seriously and act responsibly. we all face a common serious circumstance. Period.

I can see the Olympics being held in July only if they get closed for spectators + several highly infected countries get excluded "because they are weak anyway" (like Afghanistan and Pakistan).

Obviously, that's like the worst possible scenario, and I hope it never happens.

#banbestmen

43 minutes ago, hckosice said:

Seriously, How even waste debate about this. This must be postponed (at least for September with paralympics starting just a week after) if the situation will not be solved around july (which, sorry but I really doubt it will) then immediatelly postpone it to the next year. Everyone must start to take current situation seriously and act responsibly. we all face a common serious circumstance. Period.

I mostly agree with your standpoint. Due to all the uncertainty of this crisis, it would probably be best to postpone it to next year, as I don't see September or October are better options. How will two or one month extra, without a worldwide vaccine available, change anything? For the health of the athletes and for the fairness of the sports, it seems, giving the current circumstances, a postponement would be a fair and reasonable decision. 

I would also like to state that I'm not in favour of having the Olympics behind closed doors. As fans and athletes should be able to celebrate these special moments together. After all, despite of not always being one of the top priorities for some of the people in IOC, The Olympics are about bringing nations, cultures and people from all over the world together in the celebration and love of sports. 

Edit: Just to make it clear. I still have the opinion that IOC shouldn't officially postpone it before May/mid-May. Also, Thomas Bach is often not the best to communicate his points or he is just being too honest sometimes to be in sports politics. 

Edited by Wumo

47 minutes ago, dcro said:

I can see the Olympics being held in July only if they get closed for spectators + several highly infected countries get excluded "because they are weak anyway" (like Afghanistan and Pakistan).

28 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I mostly agree with your standpoint. Due to all the uncertainty of this crisis, it would probably be best to postpone it to next year, as I don't see September or October are better options. How will two or one month extra, without a worldwide vaccine available, change anything?

I guess a compromise could be made by hosting it in September and forbid spectators. It would be very sad indeed, and a postponement to early 2021 would be fantastic. Is it feasible to stage the Olympics in late March 2021? How is the weather in the Northern hemisphere in March?

29 minutes ago, Sindo said:

Do it by the end of 2020 or cancel it at all.

Why cancel it if it can't be held in 2020?

I'm asking out of curiosity and to hear a different opinion than one's own. 

Edited by Wumo

6 minutes ago, thiago_simoes said:

I guess a compromise could be made by hosting it in September and forbid spectators. It would be very sad indeed, and a postponement to early 2021 would be fantastic. Is it feasible to stage the Olympics in late March 2021? How is the weather in the Northern hemisphere in March?

considering the global warming, I'd say that Tokyo could well host the Games in that period of the year, even if I think it could be a little too cold for some outdoor sports like open water swimming or even athletics (sprint races and explosive jumps/throws events especially)...

however, late April/May/June is the monsoon season, so it's impossible to host the Games in those months, as there's a high risk of having a full week of torrential rain and very strong winds...

Edited by phelps

2 weeks ago I would have said try for July.  Not so sure that's realistic at this point.

As long as they happen at some point, I'll be happy.  I just hope the IOC doesn't torpedo their own best efforts to make that happen.

1 hour ago, Wumo said:

I guess this article fits in this thread.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092141/athletes-take-ioc-to-task-coronavirus

I'm curious to know how you on the forum think IOC should act, in your opinion, to a situation like this? 

I'm okay with them planning for a Games to occur this July/August.  But they need to be forthcoming about plans about a potential postponement.  They don't have to make that decision now, it can wait until May.  But what can't happen is we get to May, the state of the world is still not good enough to hold the Games, then my hope is that the IOC will tell us "we had hoped for this summer, but we are now planning to hold the Olympics _____." My fear is that we get to May and the IOC tells us "we cannot host the Olympics this Summer, we have no choice but to cancel"

1 hour ago, Wumo said:

I mostly agree with your standpoint. Due to all the uncertainty of this crisis, it would probably be best to postpone it to next year, as I don't see September or October are better options. How will two or one month extra, without a worldwide vaccine available, change anything? For the health of the athletes and for the fairness of the sports, it seems, giving the current circumstances, a postponement would be a fair and reasonable decision. 

I would also like to state that I'm not in favour of having the Olympics behind closed doors. As fans and athletes should be able to celebrate these special moments together. After all, despite of not always being one of the top priorities for some of the people in IOC, The Olympics are about bringing nations, cultures and people from all over the world together in the celebration and love of sports. 

Edit: Just to make it clear. I still have the opinion that IOC shouldn't officially postpone it before May/mid-May. Also, Thomas Bach is often not the best to communicate his points or he is just being too honest sometimes to be in sports politics. 

I agree 100% with the last point and I'm concerned that Bach is not the right person to guide the IOC through this crisis and his decisions could do harm to the reputation of the IOC if he's not careful.