website statistics

[POLL] Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games be cancelled, postponed or held at any cost?

• The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be held from July 24th to August 9th 2020 at any cost
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2021
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be postponed to 2022
    • The Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games should be definitively cancelled

Meanwhile, German stars Isabell Werth and Sonke Rothenberger are all in favor of postponement.

Isabell Werth is basically the most honest athlete I know of, so there's that...

http://www.eurodressage.com/index.php/2020/03/19/isabell-werth-tokyo-olympics-incomprehensible-delay-tactic-ioc-and-japanese

#banbestmen

hace 6 minutos, dcro dijo:

Meanwhile, German stars Isabell Werth and Sonke Rothenberger are all in favor of postponement.

Isabell Werth is basically the most honest athlete I know of, so there's that...

http://www.eurodressage.com/index.php/2020/03/19/isabell-werth-tokyo-olympics-incomprehensible-delay-tactic-ioc-and-japanese

Still, I'm waiting for one of these big name athletes to categorically say "I won't participate, end of story."

Until that happens, IOC won't take their opinions seriously, sadly.

The Games should be definitely postponed to 2021. Even if Japan will be free from virus until July there is no reason to risk health and life of athletes and spectators for two weeks event, because surely in many countries virus won't be defeated until summer and athletes/fans can transfer the virus to Japan once again and infected thousands of people. For now athletes even can't qualify to these Games because everything everywhere is postponed/cancelled, many of them stays in home and can't prepare as they planned it, changing qualification system 4 months before Games is unfair even considering current situation. Let's everyone recover from this virus to next year, there is no need to be hurry, life is more important than a sport.

5 minutes ago, Wumo said:

I guess this article fits in this thread.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1092141/athletes-take-ioc-to-task-coronavirus

I'm curious to know how you on the forum think IOC should act, in your opinion, to a situation like this? 

I think they’ve handled it correctly so far. I do believe they should listen to athlete opinions more though.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela