website statistics

Junior Pan American Games 2021

Totallympics

12 minutes ago, Col_Frost said:

Sprint, Slalom or both?

No shotguns? That's a little disappointing :( 

No climbing and poor program of team events but beside that I love it.

Prolly just sprint. If they didn't make the distinction. Its still a relatively new discipline in the Americas

32 minutes ago, mrv86 said:

Shitty decision. If this was supossed to be an age group competition, then they should go for a 15-19 age range.

I think the Games were originally U23 (being 19-22 probably). However, based off Ilic’s statement, I think they opened the Games up to both youth and junior athletes after the postponement of Dakar 2022.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Shotgun isn’t contested at youth or junior multi-sports games, at least I can’t think of a time it has.

Excuses, excuses :p

9 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Sport Climbing was most likely omitted because of a lack of national representation. There’s still only 8/9 Pan American NOCs with active Sport Climbing federations.

At IFSC there are 16 members from Americas: :ARG:BOL:BRA:CAN:CHI:COL:CRC:ECU:ESA:GUA:HON:MEX:PAN:PER:USA:VEN Of course it doesn't mean that all of them could send a team. But if at senior Panam Games could be Water Skiing, where there are always 9-10 nations participating (in Toronto was 12) then I think Climbing could be also.

10 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

Shotgun isn’t contested at youth or junior multi-sports games, at least I can’t think of a time it has.

That's too bad. I can remember a Maltese shooter (Xuereb) who once qualified for the WC stage final at age 15.

#banbestmen

• 4 weeks later...

So...the age categories vary by sport it seems. Sailing is U23, while Swimming is U22, while Modern Pentathlon is U21, while Fencing is U20, while Taekwondo is 20-17, while Artistic Swimming is 19-15, while Boxing is 18-16, and Rhythmic Gymnastics is 15-14. It seems like Panam Sports really isn’t sure about what they want this event to be.

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 31/08/2020 at 15:22, Col_Frost said:

Sprint, Slalom or both?

According to the quota allocation, only Sprint will be contested.

• 3 weeks later...

Some tidbits:

-Artistic swimming will have 4 events, including a mixed event with male

-North America and South America will have 3 quotas each per handball tournament :facepalm:

-Team sprint in track cycling for women will have 3 competitors, perhaps hinting at the future of this event in other MSES.

-Fencing will have 16 countries per each individual event.

-Triathlon is using half its slots by awarding them to countries based on placement at Lima 2019 :facepalm:. So by extension Lima 2019 will indirectly impact Santiago 2023 qualification

25 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Some tidbits:

-Artistic swimming will have 4 events, including a mixed event with male

-North America and South America will have 3 quotas each per handball tournament :facepalm:

-Team sprint in track cycling for women will have 3 competitors, perhaps hinting at the future of this event in other MSES.

-Fencing will have 16 countries per each individual event.

-Triathlon is using half its slots by awarding them to countries based on placement at Lima 2019 :facepalm:. So by extension Lima 2019 will indirectly impact Santiago 2023 qualification

Mixed Duet is probably the future in many multi-sports games for Artistic Swimming, so not a bad idea to include it at the Junior Games right now.