website statistics

Junior Pan American Games 2021

Totallympics

Pan Am Sports has oficially scheduled Pan Am Jr. Games for 2021.

This will be a U-21 competition, with the winners of each event gaining a quota for 2023 Pan Am Games in Santiago.

The host will be chosen in March this year, with NOC's having this month to submit a bid. Currently, three countries have expressed interest: Colombia, El Salvador & Mexico.

I wonder which city in my country will be submitted as candidate? IMO, only Monterrey, Tijuana & Guadalajara have the economy, venues and capacity to host them in such short time. Of course, I wouldn't count on my city being selected, after such a shameful record of retiring (2018 YOG) or resigning (2017 World Aquatics Championship), so it could be good if the other two cities could step up.

5 hours ago, mrv86 said:

This will be a U-21 competition, with the winners of each event gaining a quota for 2023 Pan Am Games in Santiago.

The host will be chosen in March this year, with NOC's having this month to submit a bid. Currently, three countries have expressed interest: Colombia, El Salvador & Mexico.

I wonder which city in my country will be submitted as candidate? IMO, only Monterrey, Tijuana & Guadalajara have the economy, venues and capacity to host them in such short time. Of course, I wouldn't count on my city being selected, after such a shameful record of retiring (2018 YOG) or resigning (2017 World Aquatics Championship), so it could be good if the other two cities could step up.

Judging from what happened in recent biddings from Guadalajara, I don't think they can be consired to "have the economy"?

11 hours ago, Griff88 said:

Judging from what happened in recent biddings from Guadalajara, I don't think they can be consired to "have the economy"?

Well, we have the ecomony... the problem was that the past goverment didn't want to spend in hosting duties, rather they wanted to rob big.

The new administration, although I'm not a fan of it, has another aproach and want to rehabilitate public spaces, including sporting venues.

hace 19 horas, mrv86 said:

Since last year Pan Am Sport showed interest in creating those games( I read also Pan Am Beach Games ) so I'm glad they decided to schedule them..

I read Cali will be submitted as candidate for Colombia(Well, the info is from months ago, everything changes). San Salvador will be the undisputed host city proposed by El Salvador. I think it's the opportunity of Guadalajara to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games. I would like Monterrey to contend for Pan American "Senior" games. 

I only pray that Mexico will continue with its desire to be an alfitrion. There have been changes in our country in a couple of months and there are winds of austerity.

On 11/01/2019 at 17:11, RiSeGwangFan said:

Since last year Pan Am Sport showed interest in creating those games( I read also Pan Am Beach Games ) so I'm glad they decided to schedule them..

I read Cali will be submitted as candidate for Colombia(Well, the info is from months ago, everything changes). San Salvador will be the undisputed host city proposed by El Salvador. I think it's the opportunity of Guadalajara to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Guadalajara 2011 Pan American Games. I would like Monterrey to contend for Pan American "Senior" games. 

I only pray that Mexico will continue with its desire to be an alfitrion. There have been changes in our country in a couple of months and there are winds of austerity.

According to this interview with Around the rings Cali and Medellin are the Colombian cities competing, with Santa Ana being proposed by El Salvador (don't want to be rude, but this makes me :lol:)

Same article states some Mexican cities may present a bid, but doesn't name them. So we will wait.

At this point it looks like it's Colombia's to lose.

Mexican NOC confirmed yesterday that Monterrey will put forward a bid for the first edition of the Pan American Jr. Games. It's main weakneses:

• The lack of economic support from the federal government: The state of Nuevo Leon is one of the  states not aligned with the party now in control of the government, so probably they will have to manage a tight budget; despite that, the state and local government have enough resources to pull it off with help from the private sector, which is probably the most powerful in the country.
  • Lack of a covered velodrome: as the Junior Pänams are a U21 competition, I expect track cycling to be included in the program. However, there's no covered velodrome in Nuevo León or any neighbour state, so they will either have to use Aguascalientes (6 hours away by road) as a sub-venue or will need to built one against the clock,
  • Lack of a proper venue for sailing/surfing: The city is relatively far from the coast and although other discipline (canoe, rowing, triathlon, water ski) could be contested at Santiago's dam, which has been used for national championships, they will have to find a venue that already has the infraestructure to hold those events. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If it were up to me, I’d prefer Cali. No offense to the other hosts, just my preference

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela