website statistics

Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

Just now, MHSN said:

and I can see Bridge too ! and 10 seconds of googling confirmed that  :facepalm:

http://www.worldbridge.org/2020/10/02/bridge-included-in-the-asian-olympic-games-2022/

in that program, they considered Esports as part of the Chess/Go/Xiangqi/Bridge program as one sport I can't read the name. board games maybe

-

so from 2018 program, they only dropped Bowling, Pencak silat, Sambo, Jet Ski and Paragliding.

Bowling had its debut in 1978 and was in AG program since 1994.

“Mind Sports”

Yeah, it’s a shame Bowling was dropped. I think having it on the program really raised the level of play in Asia. Asia/Pan American are kind of the powerhouses in the sport thanks to it’s inclusion in their continental Games, and now both seem set to drop the sport :(

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

Just now, Olympian1010 said:

“Mind Sports”

Sharp eyes :d

so here is the list, based on that table, we have 42 "sports" here. While Esports is a part of "mind sports" ,  they considered Dragon boat separately but that's usually counted under ICF events. I don't know where they are going to put Dancesport (breaking) to make it 40 sports as planned :d

it seems Cycling BMX is only BMX racing, no BMX freestyle as far as I understand

but based on that table, this is the final list of sports and disciplines.

1. Ahletics

2. Tennis (Tennis and Soft Tennis)

3. Aquatics (Artistic Swimming, Diving, Swimming, Water Polo and Marathon Swimming)

4. Cycling (Track, MTB, Road, BMX)

5. Triathlon

6. Archery

7. Shooting (Rifle/Pistol, Running Target and Shotgun)

8. Modern Pentathlon

9. Rowing

10. Canoe/Kayak (Slalom and Sprint)

11. Dragon Boat

12. Badminton

13. Basketball (Basketball and 3x3 Basketball)

14. Boxing

15. Mind Sports (Chess, Go, Xiangqi, Bridge and Esports)

16. Fencing

17. Football

18. Golf

19. Gymnastics (Artistic, Rhythmic, Trampoline)

20. Handball

21. Table Tennis

22. Hockey

23. Judo

24. Ju-Jitsu

25. Kurash

26. Kabaddi

27. Wushu

28. Roller Sports (Roller Skating, Skateboard)

29. Rugby 7s

30. Sepaktakraw

31. Squash

32. Taekwondo

33. Wrestling

34. Karate

35. Volleyball (Indoor and Beach)

36. Sailing

37. Weightlifting

38. Equestrian

39. Cricket

40. Baseball/Softball (Baseball and Softball)

41. Sport Climbing

42. Dance Sport (Breaking)

I found this, the most interesting thing about OCA is they first pick a number and then fit sports into it :d they wanted to have 40 sports, so Esports HAD to be part of something else, Kurash, Karate and Jujitsu also should be considered as just one sport !! why ?

2022-AG-Hangzhou-Sports-Programme.jpg?re

there are some "interesting" changes in the number of events for each sport. can someone guess what's the 8th event in Badminton ? mixed team relay ? really ?! :facepalm:

having 6 events in Tennis is also confusing !? it was usually 7 or 5 ?! did they drop the mixed doubles ?

33 for shooting ?! did they bring back all team events ? it was 44 with all team events and 20 without them in Jakarta. so what does 33 means ? probably "some team events" and not all of them :dunno:

13 for Taekwondo ? did they drop all non-Olympic events once again to add 5 STUPID poomsae events ?! Indonesia :mad: started this by dropping non-Olympic events , they were always part of the program. Poomsae in and half Kyurugi events out is extremely stupid. :thumbdown:

Archery will have full program with 10 events, both compound and recurve. for the first time

and a 5th event in Squash ? mixed doubles maybe ? I rarely see doubles playing in Squash (I know that exists) that box is already small for 2 guys. let alone 4.

and despite all news about increasing events of Kurash, it's still just 7 which is good. I wish it was 0

sport climbing still has 6 but I don't know if it's something stupid like what we had in Jakarta (Speed, Speed relay and combined) or the normal program with all 3 main disciplines (Speed, Boulder, Lead) ?!

and 12 gold medals for roller skating :yikes: come on. 12 !!!

------

from 2022 Paris program, Surfing and BMX freestyle are not present here, plus Canoe Slalom Extreme

48 minutes ago, MHSN said:

I found this, the most interesting thing about OCA is they first pick a number and then fit sports into it :d they wanted to have 40 sports, so Esports HAD to be part of something else, Kurash, Karate and Jujitsu also should be considered as just one sport !! why ?

I’ve always found that both amusing and annoying as well :d

having 6 events in Tennis is also confusing !? it was usually 7 or 5 ?! did they drop the mixed doubles ?

My guess is: Singles M/W, Doubles M/W/Mixed, Team Mixed. I seem to remember a Mixed Team event being held at a few multi-sports games.

33 for shooting ?! did they bring back all team events ? it was 44 with all team events and 20 without them in Jakarta. so what does 33 means ? probably "some team events" and not all of them :dunno:

Well, the current Olympic program is 15 events + Mixed Team Skeet in Paris, so assuming all those events are held (including both Moxed Team Shotgun events), that’s 16. I do know Running Target will be on the program, and that would most likely be 6 more events. So that’s 22 “regular” events. My guess is then there will either be non-Olympic events like 50m prone, 25m center fire pistol, etc. on the program, or there will be gender specific team events for all the regular individual events.

13 for Taekwondo ? did they drop all non-Olympic events once again to add 5 STUPID poomsae events ?! Indonesia :mad: started this by dropping non-Olympic events , they were always part of the program. Poomsae in and half Kyurugi events out is extremely stupid. :thumbdown:

Archery will have full program with 10 events, both compound and recurve. for the first time

That would be my guess. I’m not against the Poomsae events personally, I find them more tolerable than Kata at least. I still haven’t made up my mind on wether or not I like form events included in multi-sports games yet.

Archery having a full program for once is a small victory.

and a 5th event in Squash ? mixed doubles maybe ? I rarely see doubles playing in Squash (I know that exists) that box is already small for 2 guys. let alone 4.

Mixed Doubles would absolutely be my guess for a fifth event. It’s already held at the Commonwealth Games and Pan American Games. I’m not a big fan of doubles events in Squash/Racquetball. 

51 minutes ago, MHSN said:

sport climbing still has 6 but I don't know if it's something stupid like what we had in Jakarta (Speed, Speed relay and combined) or the normal program with all 3 main disciplines (Speed, Boulder, Lead) ?!

I heard that it will be Speed, Speed Relay, Boulder, but I don’t know if that’s final yet. Perhaps after the Paris 2024 announcement they’ll go with Speed, Speed Relay, Boulder/Lead Combined. I’d be okay with that, but I’d prefer the 6 individual disciplines myself. I think Speed Relay is fun event, but it’s not my favorite. I’d rather have a Lead event personally.

54 minutes ago, MHSN said:

and 12 gold medals for roller skating :yikes: come on. 12 !!!

That would (hopefully) be the full regular program of track events. 200m (or) 300m Time Trial, 500m Sprint, 1000m Sprint, 10000m (or) 15000m Points Race (or) Points/Elimination Race, 15000m (or) 20000m Elimination Race. I’d be very happy about that. 

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, MHSN said:

20 from Jakarta plus team events in the 12 Olympic events would bring us to 32. For the last event, I think it would either be 300m Women's Rifle and replacement of one of the running events with Women's running event for full gender equality or another mixed team event.

On 20/12/2020 at 01:35, NearPup said:

Off topic, but I'd be extremely interested in a "mind sport" Olympics, featuring esports and games like Chess and Go.

You mean like the World Mind Games :d

SportAccord used to hold those. The last edition in 2014. SportAccord then had all those problems, and eventually became the GAISF. The GAISF is trying to revive the World Combat Games, so maybe they’ll think about restarting the World Mind Games soon.

11 hours ago, MHSN said:

someone guess what's the 8th event in Badminton ? mixed team relay ? really ?

Mixed team event like Sudhirman Cup most probably 

Else debut of 3*3 badminton mixed team or Team Doubles with substitution 2+2subs or Ball badminton Mixed Team or Mixed Doubles Shuttlecock event where China is one of the leading nations in worlds with Only Vietnam able to challenge and is played on same court size with a plastic shuttlecock used ( no racquets) with legs. 

• 8 months later...

The e-sports titles have been announced:

• Arena of Valor
  • Dota 2
  • Dream Three Kingdom 2
  • FIFA
  • HearthStone
  • League of Legends
  • PUGB Mobile
  • Street Fighter V

Lets put them in tiers:

Is actually a serious competitive game worth taking seriously

• Dota 2
  • League of Legends
  • Street Fighter V

Has a serious competitive scene, but is heavily dependent on luck

• FIFA
  • HearthStone

Why?

• Arena of Valor
  • Dream Three Kingdom 2
  • PUBG Mobile

This is not the worst lineup possible, but it has some baffling omissions and some baffling inclusions.