website statistics

Asian Games 2022 Road to Paris 2024

Totallympics

• 1 month later...

It is rumored that the next edition of the Asian Games will have between 33 sports (for certain) and 55 sports (at max)

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

2 hours ago, Olympian1010 said:

It is rumored that the next edition of the Asian Games will have between 33 sports (for certain) and 55 sports (at max)

Including one for every one of the five regions of China. 

If you'd like to help our fellow Totallympics member Bruna Moura get to the 2026 Winter Olympics, after her car crash on the way to the 2022 Olympics, every tiny bit of help would be greatly appreciated! Full story and how to help can be found here!

• 6 months later...
7 minutes ago, Griff88 said:

Oceania to compete in certain sports at Asian Games 2022

I’d think this is the best move, the Pacicfic Games are really starting to have troubles

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

On 03/03/2019 at 11:04, Griff88 said:

Oceania to compete in certain sports at Asian Games 2022

if they are going to compete they should be allowed to participate in all of the sports. limiting them to only few sports will make the medal table a bit "fake" but of course it will be up to Australia (and New Zealand ) if they want to send a full team. Australia sent only few athletes to the AIMAG but I think Asian Games will be a different story.

if a powerhouse like Australia participate at the Games. that will change the medal table big time. they will steal lots of medals in Cycling, Rowing or Swimming and some other sports. but I was thinking how many medal Iran could lose if Australia was there in Jakarta 2018. at least about gold medals the answer was none ! Iran won 20 gold medals in Jakarta and Australia could not treat any of those gold medals. they are just not good in our favorite sports. so welcome Australia :d

speaking of the Asian Games. there are rumors about the list of sports for the next Games in China. apparently they are even going to expand the Kurash program making it 16 events !! :facepalm: I knew Jujitsu is a sure thing since UAE pays OCA for that. they will add Cricket again. we also will have traditional AG non-Olympic sports like Sepaktakraw, Kabaddi, Karate, Wushu and Bowling . and it seems China want Chess to be added ! Sport Climbing is also likely to be in the program.

still no word on Sambo and Baseball and it seems we won't have Pencak Silat, Paragliding and Jet Ski for sure . :d nothing is finalized even for 2018 they changed the program so many times and only finalized it a year before the Games. but I think this time with China things will be easier and we will have the final list sooner. I just hope they don't add anything crazy like Dancesport or some kinds of Chinese Chess or even Dragon Boat into the program.

I still can't understand how come we can have Judo. Jujitsu and Kurash altogether ! they are pretty much similar. specially Judo and Kurash . I think the only different between Judo and Kurash is the scoring system and the cautions. and Jujitsu is the stupidest sport ever.

• 1 month later...

it seems the organizers finalized the list of sports for the 2022 Asian Games in Hangzhou

it will be all "core" Olympic sports plus few selected non-Olympic sports, Sepaktakraw, Kabaddi, Cricket, Chess, Roller Skating, Jujitsu, Kurash, Wushu and Squash

and per Hangzhou 2022 official website Dragon Boat will be a part of Canoeing competition. but they said nothing about Soft Tennis (which is usually a part of tennis competition) or 3x3 basketball. and beside that it's not clear if Chess is just Chess or will include some weird Chinese Chess competition too.

with this, Cricket and Chess are the new sports comparing to 2018 but they dropped Baseball/Softball, Bridge, Bowling, Jet Ski, Paragliding, Pencak Silat, Sambo, Karate and Sport Climbing from the 2018 program.  of course nobody is upset about dropping JetSki, Pencak Silat or Bridge or Paragliding or Sambo, but dropping some old sports like Karate, Bowling and Baseball/Softball is a very bad idea. even Sport Climbing should be in the program.

especially Karate which is a popular sport in Asia and we usually have something like 40 nations participating at the Asian Games (OCA has something like 45 members) even though after this Iran Karate federation president claimed he contacted the AKF officials and he was told to not worry, OCA president (Sheikh Ahmad from Kuwait) is a fan of Karate and he will never let the organizers to drop Karate. he will force the Chinese organizers to put back Karate in next OCA meeting. which means this list is not final as far as OCA concerns and small changes can happen.