website statistics

Commonwealth Games 2022

Totallympics

• 4 weeks later...

India will not boycott the 2022 Commonwealth Games. They will attend in full force. They also announced their intentions to bid for 2026 or 2030 edition of the games.

India is now set to bid for 2026 Commonwealth Games, 2030 Asian Games, 2032 Summer Olympics

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

CGF has caved to India and ISSF. India will now host shooting at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Medals will count as official and towards the final medal table. Full decision will be released soon. Source: https://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=3414

“Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire. Sport can create hope where once there was only despair” - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, Olympian1010 said:

CGF has caved to India and ISSF. India will now host shooting at the 2022 Commonwealth Games. Medals will count as official and towards the final medal table. Full decision will be released soon. Source: https://www.issf-sports.org/news.ashx?newsid=3414

I suspect India will be bringing back the pairs events as an opportunity to boost their medal tally at the 2022 Games.

43 minutes ago, intoronto said:

What a joke. I wonder what they will do for 2030? Canada will likely host and has not proposed shooting as a sport (I sent this is a reminder to the Hamilton bid committee but they won't budge.)

Any inside knowledge you can share as to the sports we could expect to see on their bid? (Anything different than 2022)

1 hour ago, PHI2019 said:

I suspect India will be bringing back the pairs events as an opportunity to boost their medal tally at the 2022 Games.

It'll be mostly mixed team events from what I hear. So even taken to it's extreme there will only be 26 shooting events vs. 19 that was present in 2018. 36 events were present in 2010.

56 minutes ago, Olympian1010 said:

Any inside knowledge you can share as to the sports we could expect to see on their bid? (Anything different than 2022)

Nothing different than in 2022. THe 16 core sports + 3x3 basketball, cricket (women) + cycling track + diving and beach volleyball. Diving would be held in Toronto, at the Pan Am Venue, nice legacy left from those games.

In 2010, they did propose a soccer tournament (something new), but that is not in this proposal.

48 minutes ago, intoronto said:

Nothing different than in 2022. THe 16 core sports + 3x3 basketball, cricket (women) + cycling track + diving and beach volleyball. Diving would be held in Toronto, at the Pan Am Venue, nice legacy left from those games.

In 2010, they did propose a soccer tournament (something new), but that is not in this proposal.

Football would’ve been nice. I wouldn’t mind seeing lacrosse added as a nod to the native peoples of Canada, or another more common “American” sport.